Hi there

I have just started making biodiesel from new canola oil. (for a fuel
efficiency rally in New Zealand, we are going to be the only carbon neutral
entry)

The process is working well, but I am getting very different yields from
different batches.

I am using Alex Kac's 2 step process, and doing all the work in a proper chem
lab, so quantities etc are all reasonably accurate.

The thing is that some batches form a much thicker foamy middle layer after
being washed, with the water below and most of the FAME above. A fair amount of
the FAME ends up suspended in globules in the foamy layer, and is very hard to
extract.

Is the problem simply unreacted glycerine in the FAME. If so should I be using
more than 3.5g NaOH for each litre of oil? How much extra (10%??)

The batches that have lower yields (700 ml per litre) also tend to be much
lighter in colour than the higher yield ones (950ml per litre)

Thank

Andrew

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM