I suggest a vw rabbit diesel, which puts out 52 hp at about 3600 rpm, but at
1500rpm, might be about right. I am not absolutely sure about hp
requirements for gennies, but I have a 4,000 watt gas gen. that has an 8hp
engine. so, 750watts x 8 hp x.65 = 4200 watts. Don't forget that you need
enough hp to over come inefficiency, altitude, surge loads and probably a
few things I can't think of now. using these numbers and you 11 kva, I come
up with 22 hp, which is similar to commercially avaliable diesel gennies I
looked up in a catalog I have.

I put forth the theory that a used vw diesel (which I have periodically
found for $100 US in junkyards) at 1500 rpm will probably provide quiet
reliable power enough for your application.
depending on your location, that engine may not be as easy to find as here
in northen california (usa).

Antoher thing I know about vw diesels is that when you do a websearch for
industrial diesels, you can find vw america industrial division, and I
suspect that you can get from vw , a precision governor that will bolt on,
although it is also possible you will have to buy a whole new injector pump,
in which case you may have to make a governor yourself.
anton

> I have just aquired a 11KVA alternator. I now need an engine to
turn the
> alternator. I would like to use a petrol engine. BUT there are
several
> problems(so I can change it over to ethenol when every thing is
working :) ).

> The engine must run at 1500 rpm.  From what I have gathered there
is not much
> power available from a petrol engine at this rpm. I have spent
several hours
> looking on the internet for  power curves for 1.6L to 3L engines
but have not
> been not been succesful. I would probably need about 17KW brake
power at
> 1500rpm if I want to change it to ethanol. I was thinking of using
an old
> MBenze engine(220 or so).
>
> Any advice would be welcomed...
>
> cheers Justin