Keith:

>If you throw in the NGOs brigade (who revel in sailing along *any*
>funding_wind [2]) and the forest department (whose idea of 'social'
>forestry so far is to plant eucalyptus trees all over India) - I
>don't know what the outcome is going to be.

* That bad? They know there are better ways of doing things, don't
* they? Did they learn nothing from the Chipko movement etc?

They have learnt the wrong lessons I guess, and have fallen a victim to
Ngotitis. Anyway, my cynicism apart, I do know a number of organizations who
work *genuinely* at the grassroots level... I am just against *that* crop of
NGOs with a buccaneerish attitude whose various cultivars have practically
hijacked the 'development' agenda.

* So we've funded everything out of our own far-from-deep pockets so
* far, not easy. We wanted to develop the project first, then we'd go
* for funding, not just asking, but with something valuable to offer,
* so we could deal, no need to beg. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to
* resist the commercial pressures, nor other pressures, and the project
* wouldn't be able to deliver its goods. It seems to be working, we're
* nearly at that stage now and can soon start putting our funding
* strategy into operation at last. In fact the project has achieved
* quite a lot already, without any funding, and without even going
* anywhere yet.

Please accept my congratulations - and best wishes for the journey...

* There's more about that here, and on the next page:
* http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
* Community development

* I can send you the whole thing if you like, it's a good read, it
* strengthens your case I think.

Thanks Keith, I have already gone thru these pages. In fact, I have immensely
benefitted from your j2fe site - what amazing range of information! I have been
happily recommending your pages and that Steve Solomon (www.soilandhealth.org)
- to anyone and everyone who cares... :-)

Thanks once again.

Regards:

__ramjee.
You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there
is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's
age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or
down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their
humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have
embarked on this downward path.
-- Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964
Ramjee Swaminathan | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.qsl.net/vu2sro/