Probably a couple of factors,i.m.o.

80 is probably the cruise.
It doesnt include the 20+ miles that the vehicle could drive before
even using a drop of diesel.  Drive 30 miles and you are getting 800 mpg.
<of diesel 'used' of course>

80mpg is in basically, a convertible.  It would have less drag were it a
covered car.
<slightly more weight, but it depends on whether the 80 is a 100kph or
50kph>

This is not by an auto company.  This probably is the reason for the above
not being a car.
That car was something they could achieve as an inexpensive, lightweight mid
engine car.
Fewer bux =  more shortcuts.

Personally, I don't thing there is anything wrong at all with a hybrid that
gets
exactly the same mileage as another model.. but gives one the ability to
drive
without starting a motor.

Not that there is anything wrong with a car that uses the Electic motor
solely as a acceleration booster/regen.
They are two different cars, though, I think.  Two cars that appeal or fit
to two different needs.

Some EV enthusiasts dont even like the combining of ICE and EV.. 'taints the
vehicle'..'it was simple.. now its complicated'

Of course.. it would be nice to have two vehicles.. an EV for short trips..
and the hybrid for long trips.  but not everyone
can have both.