From: bratt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 18 March 2003 04:12
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: Hemp is not the myth that others would tend
to propagate.

Hemp and flax are quite different plants, although they both can be used for
oil and for fibre.

Hemp is a fairly close relative of the common nettle, and will cross with it in
the wild.  I have seen hemp-nettle grow to 6 feet.

Flax can be selectively bred to produce long stalks for fibre, but most is
grown of short varieties for oil seed.

Flax fibres produce a fine cloth, whereas hemp has a traditional use in making
hemp rope, and sailcloth.  The banning of hemp production (supposedly as a drug
source) was largely a marketing campaign by Dupont and other companies to
implement use of polypropelene rope.

The white sails once used on sailing ships were hemp cloth.  I have an antique
tent from WW2 that is made of hemp cloth.

Ed