On 21 Mar 2003 at 3:32, Hakan Falk wrote:

> Wow Randy,
>
> You have to read the history about the potato and the potato
> blight first. The potato comes from the Andes in South America
[SNIP]
[SNIP]
> Knowledge". So it was not only starving Irish people who was given
> the choice to go to the colonies. By the way, the politicians that
> was not welcome in UK any longer, was exported also.
>
> The hard core criminals had to go to Australia.

        Oi, hang on a moment here Hakan. You may be full bottle on
salmon consumption in Sweden during the 17th-19th centuries but
you are WAY off the mark when it comes to Australian history.

        Transportation to Australia was a "fate" that could befall
anyone
convicted of the most slight crime, stealing a loaf of bread, farting
upwind of a nobleman, a bit of poaching etc etc. If you where a "hard
core criminal" you most likely would find yourself dancing a jig at
the end of a rope. Transportation to Australia was looked upon as a
way of easing the overcrowding in the English gaols whilst populating
the latest addition to the British empire, hence whilst the law might
have looked upon the transportee's as criminals these people where
also looked upon as being suitable to contibute to the empire after
serving their seven years.

        Now, back on topic for we "hard core ciriminals" down under
;) I was driving from Sydney to Melbourne the other week down the
Hume when I pulled into a truckstop just outside Holbrook, the
submarine town. As I fuelled up the car I noticed an ad for "Biofuels
Australia" hanging on the fence. According to the bloke behind the
counter, it started out cheaper than dino but is now at the same
price, about AUD1/litre, but he said he can't get it at the moment but
people are asking for it. Price and scarcity is probably due to the
drought as he said it was from 100% canola.

 Regards,
  Andrew Lowe

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM