"It is still too early to tell whether last night's "decapitation"
strike was another botched bit of intelligence engineered by the much
criticized CIA director George Tenet."

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0313/ridgewar2.php
James Ridgeway's War Watch
Senator, D.C. Activists Blast the War
Iraqi Military Reportedly Set Oil Fields on Fire
March 20th, 2003 10:00 AM

WASHINGTON, D.C.-So far this morning, police are concentrating on
demonstrators, not terrorists. During a heavy rain, demonstrators
briefly closed down the 14th Street bridge from Virginia to
Washington at the height of the rush hour. This is the main commuter
thoroughfare into the District, and even this short blockage led to
traffic jams elsewhere in the city.

It is still too early to tell whether last night's "decapitation"
strike was another botched bit of intelligence engineered by the much
criticized CIA director George Tenet. Reports of Scud attacks in
Kuwait put Israeli forces on heightened alert. The Special Forces
chopper crash comes at a time when press reports out of the Middle
East say the two Iraqi divisions defending Basra are negotiating
surrender with U.S. commanders.

In the wake of all this, talk of an Iraq turkey shoot has stopped, at
least in Britain. Today British Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon warned
that the war may take longer than first thought. "We all certainly
hope that offensive operations will be over quickly," Hoon told the
MPs in a speech at the House of Commons. "But we should not
underestimate the risks and difficulties we may face against a regime
that is an embodiment of absolute ruthlessness, with utter disregard
for human life."

Meanwhile, the situation grows more complicated with first reports
that the Iraqi military around Basra have set oil fields on fire.
Reports say the area is coming under considerable bombardment.

Meanwhile, in D.C., rush hour subways are crammed as usual, with few
police in evidence. Last night perhaps 50 demonstrators, accompanied
by police marched up Connecticut Avenue and into Dupont Circle, but
soon dispersed. This morning, police cars are parked across all the
pathways into the Circle. A helicopter crisscrosses the cold and
rainy capital. Police expect other demonstrations throughout the day.

Whether Robert Byrd's almost Shakespearian attack on Bush from the
Senate floor yesterday will set off a tardy Congressional debate is
hard to predict. In any event, it is too late. Dennis Kucinich, the
liberal Democratic congressman from Cleveland and an outsider
presidential candidate, attacked the war. "President Bush has
launched an unprovoked attack against another country," he said.
"Iraq does not pose an imminent threat to the United States or any of
its neighboring nations. Iraq was not responsible for the terrorist
attacks of September 11."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM