On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 04:37 pm, csakima wrote:
> What would worry me is that ...  if for some reason, EMERGENCY(!!),  the
> fire "had" to be put out ... how would you do it??
>
> Curtis
>
> Get your free newsletter at
> http://www.ezinfocenter.com/3122155/NL

the short answer is that you cannot.

when the whole terrorist thing started up recently, it occured to me that teh
most obvious target in terms of damage to for example Victoria, but equally
to most coal bearing areas - e.g. India. would be a deliberately started
fire. the thing about coal and shale oil is that it will self combust.  brown
coal is ~60% water. As it dries out, it cools down. if it getrs wet again,
the increase in temperature is sufficient to ignite it. As it dries out more,
it oxidises... this again increases the temperature.  Once ignited, it is
difficult to put out, especially once established.  Leave a coal seam alight
for a week or two and no amount of water will put it out.

In Indonesia, once the fire sight is ID'd the way to kill it is to dig out the
seam around the fire (big trench - tens of meters deep) and back fill with
soil... then wait for the fuel to run out.

the recently put out a fire in a NSW black coal mine - pumped in hydraulic
expanding cement to seal the burning area off.  took a few years to cool down
sufficiently to be called 'out'...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM