Hi all,

I used to be a PhD in the polymer blends area. I attended a seminar from Melb
Uni Chem eng where they were exploring the posibility of converting polymer
waste back to high Q feed stocks - methanol, acetone, alcohol, etc. often by
pyrolysis.

In our home the majority of the rubbish that goes in the bin (and it is not
much at that... seems we have dropped the amount of rubbish by 75% since
abandoning the super markets and going to the Vic Market instead) is plastic
bags.

green scraps go to the chickens or the dog (if she manages to steal them from
the bucket)
glass, most metal, common plastics (PET, PP, HDPE) bottles go to the
recycling. (tetrapacks! they get recycled! how the bloody hell do they manage
that!!!)
food, animal waste, food contaminated paper, even Al foil goes to the compost.

that leaves mostly cling film (ldpe) plastic bags (pe and occasionally pp) and
the occasional packaging (PE or PS) and the occasional PVC container...

My question is - has anyone found a way to process these in the home?
 I am inspired by the discussion of wood gassifiers and mixing sawdust with
waste oil. surely one could do the same with these materials? - well, being
careful to avoid the PVC :-)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM