In a message dated 3/25/03 11:17:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  Do not know the author of this, so I do not even know if it is a true
 opinion or fiction. But it does sound plausible, I must admit I find it
 difficult to not find the "everyday violence" which is more common is
 non-western countries, somewhat horrifying.  I taught a summer class last
 year for 10-12 year olds. One child, from India, when asked what she liked
 about living in the US the most, responded , "I like the libraries and that
 the teachers don't beat the students here."  Of course the other children
 wanted more details, they were all shocked to find out what
 "normal"  school life was like where she came from.
 Perhaps people from other cultures do not want to be "saved" from the
 lifestyle they currently have, I don't know. Certainly the child I met from
 India thought it was much nicer, and less scary living in the US.  Perhaps
 we should ask the children.
 Caroline

 Letter from an Iraqi-American

 Before anybody decides to go out and join more protests, maybe it would be
 fair to provide an alternate view. I, as you may have learned, am an
 Iraqi-American. Actually Assyrian-Iraqi-American.
 Most of my family was in Baghdad during the first Gulf War--some were in
 Kuwait.
 My aunt Margaret tells me that during that war, they would wait until night
 and go sit on the rooftops and cheer the bombing.
 The American attacks were so concise, she said that they would bet on which
 government or utilities building would be hit, and were more often than not,
 correct.
 Civilian targets were always accidental. Think about it: what military
 objective would be served by hitting a civilian hospital, when the opposing
 army is surrendering en masse(not fighting and getting injured)?

 For the last six months on al-Jazeera television, Iraqi defectors have been
 appearing on talk shows begging--literally, begging--the other Arab nations
 to support the US in this war, to finally free the Iraqi people.
 Without fail, their counterparts from other nations stated that they
 preferred Hussein to the USA.

 Here are some figures.
 Since taking power officially in 1978 (although he was the functional leader
 since 1971), Hussein has executed somewhere in the range of 3 million
 political prisoners.
 He launched chemical weapons against Assyrians and Kurds in the North. He
 drained the marshes in the south, which the Shi'ites need to survive,
 causing a "famine-on-purpose" in the style of what Stalin did to Ukraine in
 the 30s.
 Every day in Iraq, 2,500 children die from malnutrition and lack of medicine
 because Hussein has been kicking out UN (not US) inspectors for 11 years.
 Two thousand five hundred children die every day.
 So do not dare, for one instant, to protest this war on behalf of the Iraqi
 people.
 To do so is to spit in the face of the millions of people who yearn for
 freedom from his regime. Hussein is not Castro.

 Uday Hussein, his son, is the head of athletics in Iraq. He owns a
 football club. For years, whenever they wouldn't perform to expectations, he
 would bring them to his personal prison and torture them ruthlessly.
 He maintained a harem of hundreds of women whom he would rape, defile, and
 murder. The few hundred Iraqi civilians who may die in the bombing raids are
 a pittance compared to the millions Hussein has killed as well as the
 appalling number of children who die every day due to his arms program
 stubborn-ness.
 How many more can die so a bunch of addle-brained do-gooders can get on TV
 waving placards?

 It is hypocritical and worse irrational to oppose this war on behalf of the
 Iraqi people.
 They don't know the desires of the Iraqi people, or the apalling suffering
 of the Iraqi people.
 The only reason to protest the war would be because you are opposed to any
 and all war, opposed to sending US troops anywhere, ever. In which case
 kudos to you, I suppose, for returning to the turn-of-the-century style
 isolationism that indirectly lead to the horrific casualties of World War I
 and II.
 The world depends on superpowers to lend coercive power to international
 regimes.

 The best are those signs that say, "No Iraqi Blood for Oil."
 How about, "No More Iraqi Blood for French Interests," since the French
 opposed this war solely because they have hundreds of billions of dollars
 tied up with the Iraqi regime, money they will lose if Hussein is ousted
 because international regimes stipulate that a nation is not responsible for
 the debts of a deposed, illegitimate regime.
 The same goes for the Russians and Germans. The Russians have invested
 billions in Iraq's nuclear program.

 And to answer those who argue that the US is only engendering more hate
 among out European allies: Whose fault is that? Ours?
 Bush is an inept, almost moronic leader who angered many when he imposed a
 steel tariff, pulled out of the Kyoto protocol, and so forth.
 But in this case, the US is trying to remove an unpopular, ruthless,
 Stalin-esque dictator and free a nation of people who live every day in
 terror (see Samir al-Khalil's book "Republic of Fear").
 Should we allow him to continue to kill ruthlessly so that the French will
 like us?
 Keep in mind that Chirac is a Gaullist, and like a true Gaullist, his
 opposition to the United States is not predicated on any ideal, but rather
 on the desire to enhance French prestige--as the "alternative" to the US.

 Oh, the protestors are so cute with their "F**k Bush" signs and slogans and
 thrift-store clothes and un-informed opinions about international politics.

 However they are also wrong, dead wrong.
 There is nothing more painful for people with real experience of the Iraqi
 regime than to see young kids mugging for television cameras and their peers
 waving signs that purport to support the Iraqi people.
 It is truly painful to see that when the victory of the Iraqi people is so
 close at hand, a group of pseudo-intellectuals prefer playing
 pretend--pretending to be politicos--to rejoicing with us and supporting the
 liberation of a nation of 22 million.
 Protest this war and you are naive, willfully ignorant, or enraptured by
 yourself and your "fight for freedom."

 Foul; base; cruel; evil; wicked; vain; these are the only words that can
 describe you.

 I removed the name of this writer as I did not ask if I could reprint this,
 it was a forward , so I was not sure I could track down the original
 author.  Take it as you will, I do not think she would object to more
 people hearing her opinion nonetheless.

Very good point !!.....this is what we fight for beyond our own immediate
self defense, and for the Rights of Women worldwide....Iraqi women will SEE
us and that we CAN do what our male counterparts do..and KNOW...a BETTER day
is on the way, for them and their daughters !! ;-)
Capt. USAF

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM