On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 02:54 pm, paul van den bergen wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:01 pm, MH wrote:
> >  "It takes a pound of coal to generate the electricity to light a
> > 100-watt bulb for 10 hours.  For every pound of coal we burn, nearly
> > three pounds of carbon dioxide go into the atmosphere."
>
> Coal is bad enough, but concrete (portland cement) is worse.
> for every ton, 5.5 tons of CO2 are produced.
>

> I like the statement "We don't really know what is going on, but you can be
> pretty sure that we can't go on dumping all this junk into the environment
> and not have a dramatic and adverse effect" or words to that effect.
>
> I have heard plenty of ideas about reversing green house evvects, from
> sequestering liquid CO2 in geosinks to Fe seeding the southern ocean to tie
> up CO2 as boita that sink down the thermocline...

actually, brown coal is even worse...

in Vic, the majority of power comes from Brown coal - very low S which is
about the only good thing I can say about it...

brown coal has about 60-70% water. Dry it has a energy of ~ 23MJ/kg. Wet it is
only 3-5 MJ/kg.

once you make electricity out of it you loose most of the power transmitting
it 100's km to Melbourne....

works out at something less than 10% efficient...

seems to me a better use would be to plow it into the arid farm soil as a
fertaliser/water retention booster...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM