April 2, 2003
From Republican Rep. Ron Paul

Wars cost money.  The president wants "$62.409 billion for
military activities in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom."
That amount is part of the so-called "Wartime Supplemental"

bill
that is being hastily put together so that it can be voted
on
tomorrow afternoon.

But the total funds in the bill have already risen to $74.7
billion.  With every passing hour, it seems that some new
spending
that bilks taxpayers and has nothing to do with the war is
being
added.

No one in political life wants to be called unpatriotic,
particularly during times of war.  What can you do when
your
elected representatives take advantage of America being at
war to
add on unrelated spending that:
1.  the president won't veto because he urgently needs to
pay for
the war;
2.  congressmen won't vote against, for fear of being
called
unpatriotic;
3.  the media won't report, so few people will know about;
and
4.  that taxpayers can't do anything about anyway?

And just to seal the deal, they want to throw in a
multi-million
dollar payoff as hush money to the House of
Representatives.

These are patriots?  In times gone by, mercenaries who did
a lot
less than this to take advantage of war would have been
considered
"war profiteers" and would have been taken out and hanged.

How
refreshing.

Now, billions of dollars to expand unrelated governmental
programs
and special-interest payoffs will help re-elect these same
types
of scoundrels masquerading as modern-day members of
Congress.

What's in this bill outside the president's request for
$62.409
billion to fund the war?  Plenty.  Here are a some
examples:

1.  $3.2 billion for an airline bailout;
2.  $250 million for Department of Agriculture grants;
3.  $69 million for Bill Emerson Humanitarian Trust;
4.  $11 million for salaries and expenses for the House of
Representatives (they already gave themselves a pay raise);
5.  $5.5 million for the Library of Congress;
6.  $6.8 million for the Congressional Research Service and
General Accounting Office;
7.  $16 million to research Severe Acute Respiratory
Syndrome;
8.  $100,000 for the U.S. Court of International Trade;
9.  $165 million for the Afghanistan Freedom Support Act.

The bill also includes $8 billion in foreign aid:
1.  $700 million in "economic assistance" for Jordan;
2.  $500 million in "economic assistance" for Egypt;
3.  $1 billion in "economic assistance" for Turkey;
4.  $127 million for "economic growth" in Afghanistan;
5.  $1 billion in "military assistance" for Israel;
6.  $175 million in "military assistance" for Pakistan;
7.  $170 million to "train the Afghan National Army";
8.  $406 million for Jordan...and the list goes on.

How can they get away with this?  Because the drum beat has
already started.  Who would have the courage to vote
against all
this unrelated spending when that "No" vote will be turned
against them as a refusal to support our troops in war?

It's up to you.  The politicians are up to their same old
tricks,
this time taking advantage of Americans whose lives are in
jeopardy on the battlefield.  A clean bill to fund the
president's
request in support of the war could be submitted and
approved, but
the politicians can't pass an opportunity to put their
hands in
our pockets.

Please contact your congressional delegation to help give
them the
courage to do the right thing.  Go to
http://capwiz.com/liberty/issues/alert/?alertid=3D1827421&type=3DCO

Kent Snyder
The Liberty Committee
http://www.thelibertycommittee.org

--- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >It's not your budget, why do you care? ;-)
>
> You mean me?
>
> It's my world too. Since when were domestic issues in the
> US only
> domestic issues in the US? One world, only one. We all
> depend on each
> other.
>
> Best
>
> Keith
>

> >Steve Spence
> >Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter
> >& Discussion Boards. Read about Sustainable Technology:
> >http://www.green-trust.org
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://tax.yahoo.com

Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YKLNcC/oEZFAA/i5gGAA/FGYolB/TM