I would imagine that a nice, fat tax of say 2 bollars a gallon would be
helpful.

All of a sudden, instead of making more sense, $$-wise to buy a Honda
Civic,that gets 35 mpg,
it now mkes more sense to buy the Honda Civic Hybrid model, even though it
is thousands more in price.

All of a sudden, it is cheaper to spend more to insulate you house, than
just pay a little bit of oil monthly. <this insulation, of course helps out
in the summer too.>

All of a sudden, it really starts to hurt getting 11 mpg.
Maybe you earmark this "oil dependency tax" and instead of disbursing it on
pipedream 25 year programs that may not get you anything, you can use it to
give tax credits to buy new super-efficient cars.
This has a nice bonus of keeping the auto market booming.. too bad only for
imports right now..
We could all put stickers on our discounted Hybrids and jetta Diesels that
said..
"Honk if you helped me pay for my car..!"

I think the cycle lifes you have given will be smaller at a higher $ per
gallon.

I don't know if you could do it, but if you only taxes imported oil, then
all of a sudden, it becomes more worthwile to drill locally.

even if you dont give fat tax credits for efficiency..-
There is a nice market for used Honda CRX's here, where people pay lots of
money to drop in
more powerful motors.. for racing..etc.  I imagine with a stiff 'oil
dependence' tax, there would
be a nice market for replacing engines with fuel efficient ones.  ditto for
the
transportation industry.

..anything has to be better than "conservation is not the answer"

but it has to be something more than "we will have more fuel efficient
cars".
Its the same with cheap bulk food at warehouse stores.. at 99 cents a bag..
you can just leave
chips out at the picnic and throw them away. at 10 bucks a bag.. you'll be
more likely to bag up your extras and bring them home.

higher oil prices will also get people to insulate their homes more.. which
helps efficiency in the summer too.  cheap prices mean you might rather pay
a little mor a month.. rather than go through
the extra cost of insulating more.

Message: 2