I think you all missed my point.

the social benefits of both fluorine and chlorine in drinking water are
enourmous compared with the costs of not doing so - let me be clear oin this
- the benefits of chlorine are very low levels of disentry and diahorea, not
to mention cholera, etc., the benefits of fluorine are greatly increased
lifetime due to good teeth.
simlarly, the benefits of vaccination are clear.

so what is not clear is that chlorine is the best in terms of least side
effects. this boils down to money and govt. behaviour. What I find
astonishing is that people 1) don't trust govt. to work for their benefit (by
"trust" I mean "insist on", by "their" I do not mean individual, but societal
as a whole) and 2) are so scared of minor side effects they miss the big
effect. Ofcourse, I don't know what teh AStates are like, but here in
general, there is a realisation of a fine line between universal banefit and
individual inconvenience.

to those who have bad reactions to chlorine or chloramine, I sympathise.  This
is something that needs to be dealt with, but not by scare tacktics and
ignorance such as that wrt alumina is toothpaste (which is by far the worst
crock I have come across in recent times).

we have had in Melbourne (and the rest of Australia) our bi-decadal run in
with legionella.  I was periferally involved through a co who dealt with the
post -outbreak risk management and amelioration (but on other projects).
like a lot of things, industrial accidents have a half life - which relates to
the time it takes for the issue to disappear off the landscape and become
forgotten. The other one here is bush fires.  the time between large
outbreaks is just long enough for people and especially budget pressured
depts. and govt.s to neglect.

anyway, the point is a lot of places have started retrofitting ozone units to
replace chlorine units.

same rules go for air con cooling as water treatment I would imagine, only
more extreme because of corosion and closed cycle issues.

basically it breaks down like this.

the problem is systemic.

the company (Co) who owns the building is not the co who builds it. they
subcontract the fitting of the air con at the last staes of building (i.e.
when the profit and overtime have leached from teh budget) so the cheapest
unit is installed.  the co who then run the building for the owners
subcontract the maintainence, who sub contract teh air con service - by this
stage there is just enough money for a guy to come once a month and dump in a
hand full of chemicals.

Same goes I imagine for privatised water.

knowing you will never have to pay the downstream costs of chosing a cheaper
unit is guarenteed to lead to trouble...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM