On Sat, 17 May 2003 12:20 am, Bryan Brah wrote:
> As Hakan has said storage of wind generated electricity will be the
> hardest problem to solve if we are to rely on it for our power needs.

actually, any environmentally derived power has this problem, potentially.

specifically, the amount of power cannot be shifted to meet demand
arbitrarily.

so, we can either store the power, over provision, or change our lifestyles to
match the available power.... not mutually exclusive ofcourse. personally I
think we need to do all three. :-)

storing power is actually relatively easy.  batteries are fine but lossy and
environmentally troublesome, but they work. energy density is a serious
problem here... I beileve (from memory) that zinc is a reasonable material
for storage of electrical power.

better from my pov is PV decomp of water then use the Sabtier Reaction
(reverse water gas) to make methane from H2 + CO2 over Pt hotwire or Alumina
supported catalyst. - or just store the H2 - though this has other problems.

when you want to use the power pass the methane or H2 through a fuel cell,
keeping the reaction products for the charging cycle... :-)  liquid fuel self
presurising battery!

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM