On Wed, 21 May 2003 05:21 am, kirk wrote:
> Even a broken clock is right twice a day. If we only judge information on
> how politically correct the source is then we may as well join the crowd
> and burn the heretics at the stake.

yes, I agree.  but only twice a day. You wouldn't, for instance, use it to set
your watch. I figure the same applies here.  I would be much happier if the
details of the article were backed up with a bit of rigerous engineering -
and there are plenty of good journals working in this area, as it's not
exactly straight out of left field....

> The migration rate of hydrogen is such that even though it has the widest
> flammability range of any gas it is less of a hazard than methane given the
> same small leak. I think the thrust of this comment is that replacing
> methane with hydrogen for cooking may be not the danger many think it is.

I wasn't talking about the danger of explosion from H migration, although for
storage that is a problem and I would imagine there is a small risk for
enclosed spaces. Such as the boot of a car. Mind you, petrol probably has
similar risks....

More prevelent to my mind is the danger of embrittlement caused by Hydrogen.
This is particluarly relevent to welded materials, but applies equally well
to a number of plastics.  there are techniques to mitigate H migration
(multi-layerd materials, etc.) but they are not cheap to manufacture like
petrol tanks (which are multi-layered blow-moulded plastic - PP and EVA
usually).  QC is therefore a further cost... getting it wrong could lead to
unpredictable catastropic failure... not pretty.

On the other hand, I think converting to H as a fuel is not a bad thing.
well, as a measure towards sustainable fuel use.  the alternative is to gear
the PetroC industry to using it's industrial scale processing to make higher
Mw fuels....

I still reakon that the disparity on spending between renuables and Petro
resources borders on criminal

> As for crack-pot the name of Immanuel Velikovsky comes to mind. When he was
> vindicated and the bastions of knowledge were found to be incorrect the
> lack of apology was appalling. I am not impressed with that kind of
> behavior. Argumentum ad hominum is pathetically weak and should be
> abstained from. The facts should be adequate for discussion.

Science, I am afraid, is an irrevokably socially embedded activity... just
like religion :-)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM