Not to confuse two separate issues, but it just so happens that Liberia
has natural resources.  It has gold, diamonds, and a rare type of
silicon used in cellular phones, so I don't think our motives for going
to the Dark Continent are quite as pure as the administration would have
us believe.  The fifteen billion earmarked for African AIDS is not a lot
of money compared to what we're currently spending elsewhere.  Most
likely, that money will go right back to western companies providing
"humanitarian services," drugs, food, medical equipment, etc.
De-population of Africa is seen as a good thing by western leaders.  It
gives us easier access to natural resources, and in environmental
parlance "reduces the burden on the biosphere."  While the population of
industrialized nations is steadily falling, the average birth rate in
Africa is on average 3 times higher.  AIDS and civil unrest are good
ways to keep these "irresponsible breeders" in check.  After all, our
dear mother earth has enough trouble supporting the more than six
billion people already living.  I'm going to go out on a limb and
predict that the money that Dubya spends in Africa will have a less than
marginal effect on the AIDS epidemic.  In marked contrast, the
inevitable U.S. military presence established (in Liberia perhaps) to
"Provide Security" for humanitarian aid workers, will work wonderfully.
With global hegemony first and foremost in the minds of American leaders
and planners, African involvement is just a matter of opportunity.

-BRAH