This was sent to me out of nowhere, but it seemed sort of interesting.

It does bring to mind a theory I've been turning over in my head that a partial
explanation for the behaviour of the larger car companies is this:  They
probably have studied that, 100 years ago, there were a lot of Entrepeneurial
car companies, many of which no longer existed 20 or 40 years later.  So, I've
been thinking that they're trying to forestall returning the car industry to any
sort of purely competitive entrepeneurial age.  They've played king-of-the-hill,
they've won, and so the challenge for their shareholders is to stay on top, not
to keep innovating all the time.  They still innovate and improve and compete,
but I think it's modified so that if there is abrupt change or innovation, it's
managed in some attempt to protect most of the status-quo pecking order.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511