Bryan Brah wrote:

> Would this law arbitrarily apply to EVERY new building nationwide?  What
> about Hawaii, where many people don't have heat or AC, and drafty,
> semi-permeable walls are desirable?  If you can grant an exemption for
> Hawaiians, then why not for Floridians?

No, you do NOT want to engineer in a loophole for Floridians.  The way
people use air conditioners down here, many of them don't even know how
to open their windows.  Some new houses are built with windows that
_don't_ open.  Some kids don't even know that windows can be openned.

The problem is we have too many transplanted Yankees moving into the
state, and they all complain about how hot it gets down here.  I have a
solution for them: Go back up North.  Instead, they crank down their air
conditioning units to subarctic levels and leave them there whether or
not they are home, to the point that they suck up all of our power
grid's reserves on hot days.

> An unfunded federal mandate of
> this nature would exasperate state and local budget shortfalls unless
> there was some provision to pay for additional inspectors with federal
> tax money.

Indeed.  And we have WAY too many unfunded mandates already.

> Assuming that you could overcome these problems, there would still be
> the problem of fair application of the law.  Since building codes are
> local, they vary widely.  In some communities, building a new structure
> utilizing even a single wall of an existing structure constitutes a
> remodel, even if the rest of the structure is demolished.

Indeed.  This is how people down here get around the restriction on new
building in hurricane zones.  They can't knock down the old house and
build a new one, so they build a new one around the old one, use some of
the old house's structure in the new house, and demolish the rest.  This
is how we've gone from hundred-thousand dollar houses to milti-million
dollar houses in hurricane zones, just waiting for the next big storm to
wash them into the Gulf, so that their owners can get low interest FEMA
loans to build even bigger houses.

> Sorry, but the only food for thought your suggestion provides is pie in
> the sky.  We're not going to find solutions to any of our problems in
> new laws, particularly one-size-fits-all federal laws.

No doubt.  Those one-size-fits-all laws almost always don't.

> If you insist on a government solution, then offer meaningful tax
> incentives to those individuals and companies that build responsibly.

Yes.  Apply the carrot instead of the stick.

AP

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511