Hello Tomas

Sorry for the late response to this.

First, regarding additives etc, there is now some info on this at our
website which you should find useful - down to -25 deg C, in one
case. It's at this page:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_winter.html
Biodiesel in winter: Journey to Forever

The page isn't finished yet so it's not yet linked to the rest of our
site, but what's there so far is useful to know.

There's a photograph there that I took of Wintron pour-point
deporessant additive in action, the biodiesel still liquid and
flowing at -10 deg C while the untreated sample of biodiesel has
gelled solid. It works well.

I'll be putting more information on other ways of dealing with the
cold on this page soon.

>Hello All,
>
>The winter took us again. We experienced a some how little colder peak
>couple of days ago. The temp went down to - 18 ĄC. We have a Nissan cabstar
>running on biodisel (100 %), during the colder days we start the blending
>with normal diesel. During the - 18ĄC peak we had the other night we had a
>mix of around 20 % BD in the tank. Even mixed with winter diesel (-32ĄC) the
>filter glogged. To clear the filters some drops of gasoline is dripped into
>the filter. A small amount of gasoline is also added to the diesel and by
>this taking down the BD for winter use. We do also have a Toyota Landcruiser
>running on BD (100 %). The mix in the Toyota was 60 % DB during the peak
>nigt.  Even the temp came up to - 2 ĄC the fuel line was still nearly solid
>and we were unable to get the fuel to cirkulate.
>
>The first question which bumped into the mind was: Are there parts in the
>BD/D mix which are never mixed and when the temps go down it slovely
>accumulate in the filter and then glogging it (ex. stearin)?

It does get mixed, but any saturated fats/oils will crystallise
(solidify) at higher temperatures than unsaturated fats and oils and
separate out, clogging the filter. That includes tallow, lard, palm
oil, etc.

To make biodiesel for winter, follow Alfa-Laval's advice: heat the
oil first, then cool it to near 0 deg C; the saturated fats will
crystallise out and sink to the bottom. Use the clear oil off the top
to make winter biodiesel, keep the stuff at the bottom for summer.
But it still won't go much of any below -5 deg C without gelling.

>It seams that ones BD has gone solid it needs to be taken back over the
>point it goes solid. The freezing point for our BD is close to 0ĄC and the
>melting point some deg«s higher.
>
>We have been trying to find info on winterisation of BD. When we were
>talking with Alfa Laval they told us that when making olive oil
>"refreigerator compatible" they take the oil down to some deg plus and then
>separate the solid material from the oil. We were trying this metod but
>unfortunately it was not solving our problem. As this metod only make the BD
>go from some plus deg«s to some deg minus.
>
>There are roumors that in sweden they are using some additive to take the BD
>down to - 15ĄC. Unfortunately we have not been able to trace the additive.
>We have been testing with other diesel fuel additiv which takes down normal
>diesel to winter use but it has not been working with BD.
>
>Can some one enlight us on what actually happens when the DB goes solid and
>what teoretical possiblities there might be for taking BD down on the minus
>side?

This might help:

Iodine Values
-- High Iodine Values
-- Talking about the weather
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#iodine

>Winter regards from Finland

:-) Thankyou. Winter regards from Japan.

Best wishes

Keith

>Tomas

To visit your group on the web, go to: