Dear Steve:

The financial success of a cane juice-to-ethanol project will depend
on a few key variables, such as:

1- Total fermentable sugars produced yearly per unit of land
2- Number of ratoons that can be harvested from each planting
3- Sugar cane production cost per unit of land
4- Capital cost of the distillery
5- Efficiency of Yeast and the Fermentation Process

A few comments follow on the above:

The best site in the world to produce sugar cane for direct fermentation to
ethanol is Colombia, for the following reasons:

a) In Colombia we can harvest cane all 365 days of the year, therefore, the
distillery and harvesting equipment could run the year round without any
interruption for lack of cane thus using the capital investment more
efficiently than in a situation where you have a short harvest season.
Therefore, depreciation cost/unit of ethanol product will be lower than in
almost any other country of the world.

b) By the implementation of the GADA Sugar Cane Production System, developed
by our Research Foundation, we can produce
around 38,000 kilograms of fermentable sugars/Hectare/Year
that translate into some 20,000 liters fuel ethanol/Ha/Year.  This
yield seems to be, by far, the highest in the world.

c) Under the GADA System, the productive life of sugar cane fields
can be extended up to 20 years and more...Right now we can show
30 (thirty) year-old fields yielding more than 150 MT sugar cane/Ha/Year of
cane planted for high sucrose content intended for sugar production.

d) The GADA System affords the best way to lower production costs
while simultaneously doing it in a sustainable fashion; Soil fertility is
increased with each crop;  It permits to minimize input of irrigation
water; Application of N-K-P fertilizers are reduced to around 2 (two) kgs
per MT of harvested cane.

So much for the agricultural end, now comes the conversion of sugars to
ethanol.

As everybody knows, Saccharomyces Cerevisiare yeast strains convert
the 6-carbon sugars present in the substrate into ethanol and CO2.
Now, not all S. C. yeast strains possess all the desirable traits to do
a good conversion job. Let us take a brief look at those "good" traits:

a) Conversion speed. The best common yeasts will take between 15 to 20 hours
or more to completely ferment a batch of sugary substrate, thus yielding
generally only one batch per day. A better yeast should ferment three
batches every 24 hours, for a 3 to 1 productivity ratio.

b) Yeast's osmotic pressure resistance limits the amount of dissolved solids
(sugars and minerals) in the substrate to be fermented. Most
common yeasts can only tolerate substrates with a maximum of 18-20¼ Brix. A
better yeast should be able to manage substrates of substantial more sugar
content, in example, 35¼ Brix. A 35¼ Brix solution
contains almost twice the amount of sugar than a 18¼ Brix solution,
therefore, will be able to produce twice the ethanol per M3 of fermenter
capacity in the same period of time.

(If you factor the benefit of a) plus the benefit of b), then you have a
yeast productivity 6 times greater per M3 of fermenter capacity for the Best
Yeast Vs. the Common Yeast).

c) At the end of the fermentation cycle one would want to save the yeast for
the next batch in order to save in yeast propagation costs, Right?   Well,
if you happen to have a distillery that uses common yeasts, then you most
have invested heavily in centrifuges and have incurred in high operation &
maintenance costs, which adds to your production costs and LOWER your bottom
line. On the other hand,
if you happen to use a yeast that is "highly flocculent", then, you
would not need to purchase centrifuges and your ethanol production costs
will be lower.  Another point in favor of a special yeast.

d) Vinasse is an effluent of all ethanol distilleries. Vinasse is also known
as "Spent wash", "Dunder", etc.  With common yeasts that
only prospers in very diluted substrates (18-20¼ Brix) the ratio of
Vinasse-to-ethanol is around 14:1, that is, the Vinasse effluent is
14 liters per each liter of ethanol produced.  By using a more
efficient yeast, that has a higher Osmotic Pressure tolerance, then
the effluent-to-ethanol  ratio can be reduced to about 4 liters
Vinasse per each liter of ethanol produced, without the use of any
additional process equipment.  Again, a lower capital investment
and a lower Vinasse disposal or conversion cost. Another plus for
the "better yeast".

Now, we are almost done at this point, but wait, there are two final
bonusses in favor or the "better  yeast and process":

e) All Saccharomyces Serevisiae yeasts have an "ethanol inhibiting point" or
ethanol concentration tolerance.  That is, as the ethanol concentration
rises in the substrate being fermented, the yeast will
react by inhibiting (not producing any more alcohol) when it reaches
its cncentration limit. Common yeasts usually stop producing
alcohol when the ethanol concentration reaches 5-6% in the broth
(substrate).  A yeast that possesses a higher ethanol concentration
tolerance, for example 12% ethanol tolerance, will be more
desirable for two important reasons:

Reason number one:  A fermented substrate (called wine) with 6% ethanol
concentration WILL USE TWICE THE AMOUNT of
thermal energy in the distillation process than a wine with 12%
concentration.  Main benefit: 50% energy saving!

and,

Reason number two:  The distillation system for a wine with 6%
ethanol concentration has to be TWICE AS LARGE as as a system
meant to distill wine of 12% ethanol content. Benefits: Lower
capital investment in the distillation system and lower production costs.

If you wish to learn more about this extraordinary yeast that will BOOST
your bottom line, kindly send me  note. The same invitation
is cordially extended to all forum members.

The conclusion:
If you plan to put up a fuel ethanol distillery, consider coming to
Colombia, where we can turn out this renewable fuel at the lowest
cost ever, or, we can help you implenent the "GADA Sugar Cane Production
System" in existing sugar cane plantations in USA.

In regards to the Fermentation Process described above, we
represent the developers and can put you in direct contact with
them.

Kindly please, drop us a note at your earliest convenience.

With best regards to you and to all,

Luis R. Calzadilla
VP Operations
Fundaci˜n Sugar Cane Research Org.
Developers of the "GADA Sugar Cane Production System"
Cali, Colombia
Tel (572) 557-0627