Hello Qwarla

>Greetings everyone,
>First of all a great web site.  Lots of information and ideas, and
>sometimes that can be a problem to a newcomer.  It can all seem just
>too confusing.

Start here:
"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

>Being new to the biodiesel concept I have a few questions regarding
>production costs and yields.
>
>I am considering using WVO as feedstock, which as in most cases is
>obtained at very little cost, if not given to you.
>I would like to know:-
>What is the price of methanol in varying parts of the world?

It varies widely. You'll find some sources here:
Methanol suppliers
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_supply.html#meths

>What quantities do you purchase?  I believe locally I have a choice
>of 20 or 200 litre drums.

Since you're just starting, try to find smaller quantities, enough
for small test batches so you can gain some experience. Don't know
about Oz, but in the US you can get it in the form of DryGas
(DriGas), make sure it's the methanol variety, not isopropanol.

>What is the yield of BD from say 100 litres of WVO?

That depends on the state and condition of the WVO, of the process
you use, and on your level of expertise. The two-stage acid-base
process will get 100%+ yields even with poor-quality WVO, but the
acid-base process is not for novices. With poor-quality WVO with
titration levels of 6.5ml and above (see above url) yields will fall
off substantially with the basic single-stage transesterification
method. With really poor oil (which some novices do try to use, as
we've seen here before) most likely you'll fail, or get maybe 50%
yield half the time, and failures the other half. (Experienced users
can get much gbetter yields and better reliability than that though.)

So, again, start at the beginning, work with small test batches, try
it with virgin oil first, then learn titration and move on to WVO.
Practise titration, get good at it, get a feel for the whole thing
before you move into real production and buy larger quantities of
chemicals and materials for processors etc.

>What is the local pump price of petrodiesel?
>
>At this stage I am considering building a processor from this site,
>but will only proceed if it is a cost efficient proposition.

You'll have to find that out for yourself, everyone's situation is different.

Best weisdhes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever

>As the law stands in Australia you are supposed to send the Tax
>Office $0.38 per litre of biodiesel produced.  This cost alone could
>be the straw to break the camel's back!
>
>Regards,
>Qwarla.

To visit your group on the web, go to: