http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/news/stories/20040111/localnews/208234.html

Bill Moore has added a way on evworld.com to do a quick-and-dirty
check of these commodity prices (toward the bottom left-hand part of
the screen):

www.evworld.com

As we can see, natural gas closed this weekend above $7 per million
BTU (another site says the unit is 10,000 Million btu, so I'm a little
confused on the units of that commodity, but I think the other site
may be wrong, as the news stories also talk about million BTU).

I wonder at what price it will be considered economical to start
harvesting more methane from landfill, biowaste, etc.  I haven't been
too surprised to hear comparatively little (compared to the possible
importance of the matter) about rising natural gas and oil prices this
winter.

One reason is that it's sort of "masked" in the usual
expected-winter-increase, and another is that it's a little hard to
keep track of energy futures prices and the issues that people have
with them.  Hopefully that will be a little easier with the prices on
evworld.com.

I also use this site:

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/custom_menu.php3

This site has the added bonus of relevant not-entirely-mainstream
financial news clipped per commodity, and some worldwide futures news
perspective as well.

While natural gas has skyrocketed, oil has quietly persisted at what
used to be considered super-high prices, and closed this weekend above
$34 per barrel:

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/8/3/52405138.html

One thing I noticed in the recent discussion of GM's hybrid problems
is this attitude, from some, that change cannot occur so long as low
prices persist in this or that area (a GM spokesperson gave the
example of $1.50 per gallon gasoline being too low to warrant the
sorts of vehicles demanded by enviros).

Well: OK, but surely we have seen, over the last several years, enough
evidence of sporadic price changes and volatility to warrant some
concern that providers of Natural Gas and Oil can no longer assure (if
they ever could) steady low prices.

It does not take a genius or overly concerned homeowner to try to plan
a little for the future.  Whether you're a city planner or just trying
to buy a car, I think if fuel prices are presently low but showing
some indication of possible future sporadic high pricing, you might
alter your plans depending on your fuel budget for the future.

To visit your group on the web, go to: