MM wrote:

>The Electric Power Industry has had 100 years of what are, in effect,
>legalized monopolies put into place.  Thus, in order to "de-regulate"
>or at least examine how to define a more competitive marketplace in
>the power and energy industries, I think you have to take into account
>the sheer difficulty of changing the playing fields that involve
>100-year-old monopolies.

Besides being monopolistic, the coal and petroleum industries have been
receiving what amounts to federal subsidies for as long as they have
been in existence.  These subsidies have been in the form of land
grants, tax credits, protective tariffs, and direct purchases.  Wind
power on the other hand has become successful with minimal government
assistance.  While it is true that many wind projects would not have
been built without the associated tax breaks, if you were to strip away
the subsidies that fossil fuel receives even today, wind power would be
cheaper.  Even in the current disadvantaged position wind power is
nearly as cheap as "traditional" energy sources.

>I disagree with the idea that the only anticipateable negative enviro
>consequence of wind energy is bird kills.  I'd prefer to be more
>cautious than that.  If you develop any of these technologies (solar,
>wind, whatever) to the point of providing more than 20 or 30 % of
>man's power needs, then I think you might see some climate or weather
>change, or who-knows-what.  Best I think that we be careful.  Any
>really huge development of such power projects could have an effect.

Actually wind has the least impact of any energy system.  If you take
into account the environmental impact of the manufacture of the
generating equipment, wind turbines use fewer chemicals, less water and
more recyclable material in the construction.  Additionally, turbines
create NO thermal pollution nor do they use water in the energy
generation process.  When a wind turbine reaches the end of its
productive lifespan, it can be cut up and removed and the steel recycled
leaving only a 30' diameter concrete pad.  This can be abandoned, dug
out and filled, or left in place and another turbine can be erected on
the same site.  What happens to a solar array at the end of its life?
Your caution is exactly why we keep using fossil fuels.  The only
consequences of using wind would be less CO2, SO2 and carcinogens in the
air.

The biggest competitive advantage of wind is that once you pay for the
equipment there are few additional costs associated with energy
production (operations and maintenance, and repair).  So the price per
kwh of electricity can be guaranteed over the 20 year life of the
turbine.

>I've been thinking that if we do develop a large desert solar plant or
>plants in the American Southwest and-or some large wind harvesting,
>that in a way it would be like Hoover Dam.  You have these vast
>amounts of energy that have for Eons simply gone about their business
>but which we would now "corral".

The DoE estimates that the wind resources of Texas and the Dakotas would
be more than enough to meet our current energy needs.  But the biggest
drawback to wind (and solar for that matter) is energy storage.  The
wind doesn't always blow, nor does the sun always shine.  The only
solution to this is to store the excess energy produced during low
consumption periods.  Currently renewables comprise only a small
fraction of total energy production, so any electricity generated is
dumped directly into the grid.  Once renewables become a major
percentage, there will be a risk of shortages when the wind stops
blowing, or on cloudy days.  I don't know the cost of a 1 Mw solar
array, but a similarly rated turbine costs around $1 M USD; a battery or
capacitor bank for storage would add significantly to that cost and
erode the competitive position the renewable has.  I feel that the best
solution would be to have just enough dispersed wind capacity to meet
our energy needs, and then use some form of on-demand power generation
to manage peak periods.  Initially this could be from traditional coal
fired plants, but these could eventually be replaced by biogas or
biofuel.

>And maybe, as with Hoover, there would be very significant enviro
>consequences that would have to be weighed.... not in order to dismiss
>the project out of hand, but just so we know what the enviro-tradeoff
>is going in.

Comparing wind to hydroelectric is irrational.  As we all know there are
so many environmental concerns associated with damming rivers.  Wind
turbines, on the other hand, kill a few birds.  Claiming that something
needs to be studied more is exactly the kind of bureaucratic foot
dragging that our "leaders" are so fond of.  Humans have been using the
wind as a power source since the first man put a sail on his boat.  The
solution to our world "energy crisis," has been blowing us in the face
for millennia.

-BRAH

To visit your group on the web, go to: