>On the issue of storage, you have side-stepped that such solutions are
>part of the enviro-impact analysis of such power-generation schemes as
>solar and wind.  Even if, as you propose, one does not engage in such
>solutions as batteries and such, sticking with
>ready-made-stored-energy until we're ready for such solutions as
>biofuels, this also has its own enviro impact.

I didn't sidestep anything; I merely stated that conventional electrical
storage systems would increase the cost and complexity of WTG systems.
As it stands now, and for a long time to come, wind can easily replace a
great deal of traditional power generation without the added cost or
environmental impact of storage systems.  We won't really have problems
until we get 30% of our power from the wind.  At that time, we'll have
to address the possibility of not meeting peak demand, finding a good
way to store electricity, or having a cheap replacement for fossil fuels
to fill the gap.

Besides batteries and capacitors, there are actually non-electric power
storage systems that have been used successfully, but these are less
than ideal.  One that comes to mind is hydro-pumping; this is similar to
hydroelectric, except the system is closed.  That is electricity from
the WTG is used to pump water up a grade into a storage tank, and that
water is released to turn a hydroelectric turbine during peak periods.
All those mechanical and electro-mechanical exchanges aren't very
efficient though.  Another option would be to use the excess electricity
to split hydrogen, and then use that to power a fuel cell during peak
load.  This isn't very efficient either.  A third option is just to
overbuild and disperse your capacity, and bet on the fact that the wind
is always blowing SOMEWHERE.

The point of all this is that no matter how great wind power is to the
environment, we'll have difficulty relying on it as our sole source of
electricity.  Perhaps large solar plants are the solution to supplement
wind, but for now they're too expensive.  Typically wind generated
electricity costs between 2.5 and 4 cents per kWh while the few utility
scale PV plants generate electricity for 5 to 10 cents per kWh.  For
comparison coal plants generate electricity for 1 to 3 cents per kWh.
Maybe when those cheap organic PV modules hit the market...

>>Comparing wind to hydroelectric is irrational.
>
>I think I made clear that the odd comparison I was trying to draw was
>pretty much basic physics... one of trying to corral a previously
>uncorralled force of nature that is relatively massive and has great
>potential.  I stand by the comparison, sloppy as it may be.  You've
>said nothing to dissuade.

I saw your analogy, I just don't think it fits.  If you have water
"corralled" you can let some of it out when you need power.  Traditional
hydroelectric has the advantage of being available when needed.
Corralling wind is what we're talking about.  As far as I know, there
isn't a cheap or efficient way to store wind or the energy generated by
wind for later use.  Gravity is constant and predictable, but the wind
is not.

Speaking of predictable, someone needs to put a WTG and a heat exchanger
on Capitol Hill to take advantage of all that hot air.

-BRAH

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511