Actually, Glenn, much of the transpiration that pops off your adobe's
outer surface comes from the opposite direction...from the inside of
the adobe to the outside. The adobe needs to be able to breath on
both the inside and the outside because moisture from the inside of
the building passes through the adobe to the outside. If this
moisture hits a barrier like an impermeable paint or sealant, it
collects behind the film of paint carrying solubles (salts etc.) from
the adobe itself and compromises the outer surface of the adobe.
Then, with changes of temperature and associated expansion and
contraction, this compromised area can pop off.

Here in St. Louis, Missouri, we have many houses that are built on
rubble foundations...literally stacks of limestone piled up and then,
on the interior, tuckpointed and parged. If homeowners make the
mistake of using a rubberized paint on these rubble foundations, they
find that the limestone starts popping off on the inside because the
moisture is passing through from the outside and having the same
effect even though the interior is warmer than the exterior.

No matter where you're located, you're more than welcome to join the
Rehabbers Club list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rehabbersclub.
We're a St. Louis organization dedicated to rehabbing/restoring
buildings in our city, but we have many members who are from other
areas and countries and a wealth of knowledge to share. You may find
some ideas for roof repair/replacement there.

Maud
St. Louis, Missouri