I wonder if any of the wood will be relegated to use as biofuel, or if
all of it will be used in building?  The word last summer was that
lumber for building was at a premium in part due to construction in
Iraq.

[Side-note: one sustainability-minded builder, who often favors steel
or concrete or other materials, remarked to me that he thought it was
particularly bad to use that lumber in Iraq, given that the climate
would shorten the lifespan of it pretty quickly?  In any event, given
the struggles of the US steel industry, I also sort of wondered why
the idea didn't surface to export some steel studs there from the US
instead of just building-wood.  I know, these ideas of mine don't
reflect an accurate view of the present economics of the building
industry, but I did want to at least mention them.... since not much
mainstream discussion seemed to occurr at all.]

When the topic of forestry and improved sustainability practices comes
up in discussions, one of the things that has made an impression on me
is that the best-effort solutions from the point of view of advocates
of sustainable mature solutions, seem to involve a sort of combined,
balanced, maybe even complex, mix of actions, and not just "how much
do you cut".

I am thinking, for example, of an article I read about Flagstaff, a
year or two ago, where the (relatively well-to-do) folks in that
community made an effort to study and implement better solutions that
would help prevent a disaster.

As to use of wood as biofuel, I am not saying I know that to be
super-adviseable in this situation, I am just questioning whether the
idea might have validity here or elsewhere, in addition to its use in
the high priced lubmer-building-material dept.

MM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&e=3&u=/nm/20040123/sc_nm/environment_california_logging_dc

Citing Fire Risk, U.S. to Expand California Logging
Fri Jan 23, 1:25 AM ET  Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - U.S. forestry officials announced on
Thursday that they would significantly expand the amount of logging
allowed in California's Sierra Nevada mountains in what they described
as an effort to curb wildfires.

Environmental groups and a California state official attacked the plan
as showing disregard for the environment.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites)'s Forest Service
said it would permit logging of 700,000 acres over the next 20 years.

"I personally witnessed the human suffering and catastrophic damage
caused by those fires," Forest Service Regional Forester Jack
Blackwell said.

"I am personally convinced that future droughts in the Sierra Nevada,
coupled with periods of wind and high temperatures, could lead to the
same devastation there," he said in a statement. "It is my
professional responsibility to take decisive action."

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer, a Democrat, condemned the
decision. "Once again, the Bush White House has demonstrated its
continued disregard for the environment and willingness to sacrifice
natural resources Californians cherish," he said.

"Under the guise of addressing fire risk, the revised framework will
substantially increase commercial logging, endanger wildlife habitats
and weaken water quality protections and grazing limitations."

The Sierra Nevada region spans 400 miles along the eastern edge of
California and is home to grizzly bear, mountain sheep and sequoia,
pine, and aspen trees.

In December, President Bush (news - web sites) signed into law a plan
he said would reduce the risk of wildfires in federal forests.
Environmental groups called it a giveaway to the timber industry.

Californians were reminded of the dangers of forest fires when blazes
in the southern part of the state late last year killed nearly two
dozen people and destroyed 3,400 homes.

Forest service spokesman Dave Reider said the plans increase the
amount of wood that could be harvested four-fold compared to a 2001
plan. He said loggers would be allowed to cut 330 million board feet
in the Sierra Nevada per year, up from 70 to 80 million board feet in
the earlier plan.

Builders use about 15,000 board feet to build a three-bedroom home, he
said.

"These changes are bad news for those of us who live here," said John
Brissenden, who owns a resort lodge in Hope Valley. "Cutting trees
miles away from our homes won't protect us from wildfire. People want
to bring their kids to hike, camp and fish in a peaceful place, not a
logging project."

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511