<x-charset ISO-8859-1>I'll take a stab at these.

It varies by state, but around here heating fuel is not taxed. If you sell
the fuel this way, its untaxed. I was selling it as a degreaser, and I paid 5%
sales tax on it as for any other product. Marine fuels are taxed, I believe,
but I live a long way from the ocean.

The EPA officials I have spoken with told me they are not at all concerned
with biodiesel makers who do it for themselves. Their concern is only for
Selling or Bartering biodiesel for On-Road use.   You can run it along the
margin of
the road, you can run it in the field, you can give it away, you can use it
in any boat, jet, or tractor, but don't dare trade with your brother fuel for
the use of his truck.

The IRS document 26 CFR Parts 40, 42, 48, and 602 [TD 8659] RIN 1545-AR92
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Excise Tax; Registration Requirements
says "The dye Solvent Red 164 (and no other dye) at a
concentration spectrally equivalent to at least 3.9 pounds of the
solid dye standard Solvent Red 26 per thousand barrels of diesel fuel"

As for ASTM, the laboratory does not have to be licensed, as far as I can
determine, and private labs are OK. However, the tests are difficult and
expensive to perform. For example, the cetane test requires a special motor
whose sole
purpose is for cetane tests.   I used a nationally recognized laboratory
(Williams) because I didn't want the EPA questioning the results. But a very
well
equipped university lab may be able to do this too.

Keep in touch, Paul.

Tom Leue

In a message dated 1/27/04 9:20:02 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> One more for the night... :)
>
> I've heard things from time to time about legal this and not legal
> that.€˛I tried searching the archives for some hard data but was
> overwhelmed with my search results.€˛Anybody have any hard data on:€˛( I
> live in Vermont if that makes any difference)€˛Which of these are
> national EPA issues and which are state issues?
>
> 1.€˛Taxes...€˛I heard I can sell biodiesel for any off road use (marine
> as well !!??) and not have to collect sales tax on it.. correct?
>

> 2.€˛For personal consumption I don't need any sort of license to produce
> it... correct?
>
> 3.€˛To sell biodiesel, I dont need a license if it's for off road use
> (needs to be dyed red still though.. yes? - dye with what?)..€˛correct?
>
> 4.€˛The ASTM standards need to be met to be a commercial producer.€˛OK.€‹>
> Can anybody certify then (doubtful) or does it have to be a government
> body of some sort?€˛From what I've read, it seems like big companies can
> set up their own labs and certify their fuels as they need to, so if I
> had cash to spend I could buy the testing equipment and do it myself
> technically ...Correct?
>
> - Paul " Man of a thousand questions cause I drank to much coffee
> tonight " Schmidt

To visit your group on the web, go to: