Hi
apparently there is a thread in the biovuel group about the prisners we
have in cuba (Gitmo) I thought you might enjoy
pretty heavy stuff for a bunch of grease monkeys.

On Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004, at 12:29 US/Eastern, John Hayes wrote:

> Gustl Steiner-Zehender wrote:
>
>> And  just  so  we  don't start getting puffed up here in the states
(about german concentration camps) ed.
>>  we
>> need to remember that we had concentration camps for the Japanese here
>> and  we  considered them completely legal.  Pick your enemy, persecute
>> them and lock them up.  Sad commentary on we humans.
>
> Umm. No. We did it, but it wwas *NOT* considered legal. In Ex Parte
> Endo, Mitsuye Endo first complied with the internment order, then filed
> a writ of habeas corpus against this illegal detainment. The U.S.
> Supreme Court ruled in favor of Endo on Dec. 18th, 1994 and ordered
> Endo’s release; shortly thereafter, the U.S. government ended Japanese
> American interment.
>
> Specifically, in the majority opinion Justice Douglas wrote "A citizen
> who is concededly loyal presents no problem of espionage or sabotage.
> Loyalty is a matter of the heart and mind, not of race, creed, or
> color.
> He who is loyal is by definition not a spy or a saboteur. When the
> power
> to detain is derived from the power to protect the war effort against
> espionage and sabotage, detention which has no relationship to that
> objective is unauthorized."
>
> Moreover, in a concuring opinion Justice Murphy added: "I join in the
> opinion of the Court, but I am of the view that detention in Relocation
> Centers of persons of Japanese ancestry regardless of loyalty is not
> only unauthorized by Congress or the Executive but is another example
> of
> the unconstitutional resort to racism inherent in the entire evacuation
> program. As stated more fully in my dissenting opinion in Korematsu v.
> United States, ante, p. 233, racial discrimination of this nature bears
> no reasonable relation to military necessity and is utterly foreign to
> the ideals and traditions of the American people."
>
> Thus, while we may have done it, it most decidedly was *NOT* legal.
>
> Cheers.
>
> John

> ---------------------~-->
> Canada.
> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FGYolB/TM

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Yahoo! Groups Links

First they came for the hackers. But I never did anything
illegal with my computer, so I didn't speak up.
        Then they came for the pornographers. But I thought there was
too much smut on the Internet anyway, so I didn't speak up.
        Then they came for the anonymous remailers. But a lot of nasty
stuff gets sent from anon.penet.fi, so I didn't speak up.
        Then they came for the encryption users. But I could never
figure out how to work PGP anyway, so I didn't speak up.
        Then they came for me. And by that time there was no one left
to speak up.

Alara Rogers, Aleph Press