<x-charset ISO-8859-1>

Fast food aroma replaces toxic whiff of diesel fumes

Monday, February 09, 2004
Kent Spencer
The Province
http://www.canada.com/search/story.html?id=0ee1d616-8107-40df-b4de-
f3de1da2bc75

Some drivers are feeling better about foul-smelling diesel trucks
after toodling around in ones powered by french-fry grease.
The pilot project in five Lower Mainland cities takes recycled grease
from fast-food restaurants and mixes it with diesel.
Its supporters, including City of Richmond vehicle fleet manager Ken
Fryer, cite a study which found the fuel cuts harmful emissions by 24
per cent.
"Alternative fuels is who I am. We believe in this stuff," says
Fryer, 49, who has dabbled in natural gas-powered cars and new
combustion systems since his days as a college student in
Ontario. "We want to do our part for the environment."
Fryer manages a fleet of 500 vehicles, including loaders, forklifts,
garbage trucks, street cleaners, pickups.
The five Lower Mainland cities -- the others are Vancouver, Burnaby,
Delta and North Vancouver City -- are testing the viability of bio-
fuels.
The fuel aims to make diesel more environmentally friendly by adding
used cooking oil, animal fats and/or oils from grains such as canola
and soybean.
The smell of french fries is a little added bonus for truck drivers
used to inhaling toxic diesel fumes.
"The guys say it smells of french fries after it burns," says
Fryer. "That's a lot better than diesel. All that rotten, gucky stuff
is gone."
Adds Delta fleet manager Curtis Rhodes: "The truck smells like a
McDonald's kitchen. People chuckle about it because diesel fumes can
be horrible. They'd sooner smell food."
Ian Thomson of North Vancouver's Canadian Bio Fuels Corp. says it
works because the diesel is a pressure-ignited machine designed to
run on vegetable oil.
"Rudolf Diesel invented the engine 110 years ago to run on vegetable
oil so farmers could be self-sufficient," he says. "It burns hotter
than diesel and combusts more completely."
The Enivronmental Protection Agency in the U.S. -- where bio-fuel is
used in 300 fleets -- shows a 24-per-cent reduction in most harmful
chemicals.
The B-20 fuel is mixed up in a ratio of 20 per cent bio and 80 per
cent diesel.
In the Lower Mainland, tests are being carried out on two vehicles
per municipality: dump trucks as well as heavier street cleaners.
The results will be scientifically measured for tailpipe emissions
and presented as a report.
Problems preventing widespread adoption are availability and price.
The bio-fuel has to be shipped from California, resulting in a cost
up to 10 cents per litre more than diesel's 70 cents a litre.
But Thomson plans to produce bio-diesel locally, using a process in
which the raw ingredient is treated with alcohol.
"We're trying to make it a viable business," he says.
Fryer says the saving in noxious chemicals from the city's 50 heavy
trucks would be huge -- they burn 2.3 million litres of diesel a year.
But he admitted the public has to buy into the higher costs
associated with the project.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.canada.com/search/story.html?id=0ee1d616-8107-40df-b4de-
f3de1da2bc75

Pierre

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so
low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/FGYolB/TM