Makes me wonder if an un-discussed benefit of a hydrogen economy
(other detriments and benefits aside) might be an increased
availability of purified water.  I don't know if H2O coming out of a
typical H2 fuel cell is necessarily clean, but maybe it is?

I have used Brita in the past, and am using a similar Waterpik now.
Both are of the type you warn against.  I noticet that both seem to
waste a fair amount.  When you first put the filter in, you have to
run it for a gallon or so to get it going.  With the Waterpik, over
the 200 gallon life of the filter, it seems you're supposed to run it
a little each time until the green light comes on and then the water
is ready for you to take.  So, what you run before the green is waste
I guess.  And all the energy and effort it took to get that waste
water to your house and purify it somewhat...

I'll keep an eye out for a better system.