HB, (owner of powertothepeople&yahoogroup.com)

I'm trying to keep up with global warming subjects but not the many technology
related posts.  However, since I'm from Minnesota, I decided to forward this
post to your powertothepeople group from the Global Warming group.  I did a Cc
to the biofuel and energyresources group too, thinking that some people may be
interested in the message on th subject that says ...

'Minnesota scientists said they have developed the first reactor
capable of producing hydrogen from a renewable fuel source — ethanol — using a
device built around an ordinary engine's fuel injector.'

All people with interest and concern about climate are invited to join my P&C
public discussion group.  I think it is very important that the public learn
much more about these issues, ASAP!

[P&C] at:

Pat Neuman
Minnesota

From:
http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/science/article/0,1713,BDC_2432_265204
8,00.html

Scientists create fuel source
Reactor uses ethanol to produce hyrdrogen

By Lee Bowman, Scripps Howard News Service
February 13, 2004

Minnesota scientists said they have developed the first reactor
capable of producing hydrogen from a renewable fuel source —
ethanol — using a device built around an ordinary engine's fuel
injector.

"For hydrogen to really become economical, we need a safe, portable
liquid fuel," said Larry Schmidt, a professor of chemical
engineering at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. "Ethanol is
one of the best available."

His team reports today in the journal Science that a self-heating
catalyst produces hydrogen from ethanol, water and air at about 60
percent efficiency — generating electricity at about 4 cents a
kilowatt hour.

Although hydrogen is by far the most common known element in the
universe, no free hydrogen exists — it's all locked up with other
elements. The major stumbling block to shifting to a hydrogen-fueled
economy has been that it costs four times more than the next-least-
expensive fuel, and has to be extracted from fossil fuels — natural
gas or coal.

Hydrogen is produced exclusively by a process called steam
reforming, which requires very high temperatures and large furnaces,
consuming a lot of energy and suitable only for large refineries,
Schmidt said.

"Hydrogen is hard to come by," he explained. "You can't pipe it long
distances. There are a few hydrogen-fueling stations, but they strip
hydrogen from methane — natural gas — on site. And it increases
carbon dioxide emissions, so it is only a short-term solution until
renewable hydrogen is available."

Ethanol, produced from corn, is already used in car engines. But as
a hydrogen source for a fuel cell, the process would be three times
more efficient, Schmidt said.

The difference, says researcher Gregg Deluga, first author of the
paper, is that all the water needs to be removed from ethanol before
it goes in a gas tank, while the new process actually strips
hydrogen from both ethanol and water, producing more hydrogen than
ethanol would alone.

The invention uses a catalyst made from the metals rhodium and ceria
that heats up to a temperature of nearly 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit
and converts the ethanol, water and oxygen vaporized by the fuel
injector into hydrogen and carbon dioxide. The whole reaction takes
only 50 milliseconds, and is much cleaner than ethanol combustion in
an engine.

However, the carbon dioxide in the mix means the hydrogen won't work
in the type of high-powered fuel cells now being used to power cars,
although cells might eventually be adapted.
-------

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!