<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Ford, like any business, exists because there is a MARKET
for their
product. Attacking the businessman for simply practicing capitalism
is a huge waste of time and resources, and will accomplish little.

A better approach would focus on reducing demand for oversized gas
guzzlers. This opens the conversation to many more solutions and
options, but requires that individuals be held fully accountable for
their decisions, and forced to bear the true cost of them.

Sadly, I have sat in California State hearings and meetings and
witnessed groups like Blue Water Network, Sierra Club, NRDC and
others climb on-board with the very corporate interests they claim
to be attacking. What an interesting marketing angle they have
taken! When the rubber meets the road, it is easier to raise funds
to keep an organization going if said organization is not actually
doing the corporate interest any real harm. In fact, if the so-
called environmentalist organization will assist in the
greenwashing, the corporate entity will help out with funding. Hard
to resist for the average college graduate trying to make a living.

I would like to see League of Conservation Voters, or CodePINK, or
Ben & Jerry's thing "True Majority", or the long distance marketing
thing, "Working Assets" (This one is including jet air travel
incentives now) or any of those mentioned before, plus many I have
missed - I would like to see them actually work toward changing
CONSUMERS preferences, and educating CONSUMERS with the truth,
instead of playing the typical addicts game of "Blame & Shame".

Heh, not the most popular guy on the block,

Tim

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Jason Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Murdoch, et. al.:
>
> You write that: Šh therefore came to see it as naive to put much
stock in
> Bill Ford's
> "environmentalist" credentials.‰‹>
>
> As someone who is spearheading a grassroots campaign against Ford,
I totally
> agree. I donŤ” know that I trust Bill Ford farther than I can
throw him.
> That said, he should be held to his Š…nvironmental‰ž
pronouncements, even if
> (or especially if!) they are just greenwashing.
>
> ItŤ“ a matter of rhetoric versus reality. We all know the reality:
FordŤ“
> vehicles are gruesome gas-guzzlers, and according to the EPA Ford
cars and
> trucks get the worst fuel economy of the seven major auto makers.
At the
> same time, Ford likes to say he is an environmentalist and wants
to create
> an Š…nvironmental car company,‰žwhatever that means.
>
> I think that as advocates, itŤ“ our job to hold Ford to its PR
copy. If they
> want to say theyŤ’e an environmental enterprise, fine: But they
have to
> actually prove it through their actions. They have to walk the
walk instead
> of just talking the talk. ... This, I think, is the first step
toward
> corporate accountability.
>
> ... For more info about ongoing campaigns against Ford, check out
> http://www.jumpstartford.com.
>
> All best
>
> Jason Mark
> Clean Car Campaigner
> Global Exchange
>
> on 2/11/04 8:28 AM, murdoch at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0402/06/c01-57178.htm

> > [...]
Motors

> > [...]
> >
> > At the time of the 2000 pledges, I tried doing some of the
math.  I think the
> > 25
> > percent improvement that Ford pledged was the bare minimum or
close to it, and
> > that this came out within a tenth of a gallon.  I recall doing
the math, and I
> > was surprised to find that the pledge that Ford was making was
not some huge
> > ambitious thing to be proud of so much as the bare legal
requirement.  I'm not
> > sure if anyone has ever officially seconded these calculations
or publicly
> > taken
> > notice of the matter.  Ford's pledge was *nothing* so far as I
could see.
> > They
> > were doing basically what all of us do every year about this
time, which is
> > drag
> > our time, kicking and screaming, to comply with the law and take
our legally
> > required actions.
> >
> > I therefore came to see it as naive to put much stock in Bill
Ford's
> > "environmentalist" credentials.  This is not to say that he
hasn't convinced
> > himself that he means well.  I just mean that I did not and do
not foresee
> > making mileage or environmental precaution, a priority any time
soon.  He's
> > made
> > it pretty clear, explicitly, that there are other priorities for
the company.

> > Sure, Environmental PR seems to be a big priority, but the
underlying
> > environmental effort seems to be a priority only insofar as it's
easier to do
> > PR
> > if there's a grain of truth left in it.
> >
> > Ford's modest mileage efforts (alongside their failure to oppose
the
> > market-skewing anti-competitive tax breaks for the purchase of
giant gas
> > guzzlers) does not address the issue of fuel-types.  The only
fuels that can
> > power new Ford Vehicles are fossil fuels.  The only exception is
that E-85 can
> > power a Ford Flex-Fuel Vehicle and B100 could power a Ford
Diesel (though I
> > don't know if Ford has lifted a finger to maker an effort to
help keep such
> > vehicles under warranty if B100 is used).
> >
> > Also, Ford conspicuously cancelled the Think City EV program
despite evidence
> > of
> > demand (including the fact that when I went for a Test Drive, to
do an
> > article,
> > there were none on the lot because the dealer had leased every
one out).  Such
> > vehicles as the Think City get excellent mileage per "gallon
equivalent" and
> > if
> > they were sold by the Automakers, and included in mileage
calculations, I
> > think
> > they could provide some excellent help in making their CAFE-
required mileage
> > numbers.
> >
> > But, apparently, the Automakers are so completely against making
available a
> > non-fossil-fuel-powered vehicle that they will not make the
effort to fight to
> > have such vehicles included in the CAFE mileage calculations (I
don't know if
> > they are basically because such vehicles have never been made
widely
> > available)
> > and then take advantage of the good mileage to help meet these
supposedly
> > problematic CAFE requirements.
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > *