It *seems* that the distinction needs to be made between liquid
acrolein (dangerous toxic scary, etc.) and the formation of acrolein
and its effects as an exhaust emission

...which is not nice stuff, but in comparison to liquid acrolein is not
the same sort of risk - as a product of combustion,  it is present in
its
"acrolein" form for only a short time before reacting with sunlight and
other substances in the atmosphere to degrade into other less harmful
forms.

I don't mean to say it is not a concern, but acrolein is one of the
problems of combustion of diesel fuel too, not just  glycerol.  We are
all exposed to it all the time, from diesel exhaust, and I believe its
formation is related to combustion temperature, correct?

As stated, it's very much an irritant, it's presence is detected easily
and we therefore tend to avoid it, a natural response (in fact, I
believe that the nose is under-rated as our built-in sensor for
detecting substances in the air that might be harmful to us...not
always reliable, but not bad - it's a device that's been under
development a long time, after all!)

You can burn diesel, glycerine, vegetable oil, or biodiesel and get a
range of emissions, and sometimes you reduce one and get an
improvement, but at the expense of another, so it's very often a
tradeoff. That being the case you have to look at the exposure risks on
balance, of the various emissions, and decide which ones you are most
concerned about.

  Then do what you can to minimize those; and carry on and perhaps
assess the risk on the others, based on exposure/dose over time, etc.

  If it is still a problem area (and it may not be, on balance, when
looked at all our other various other exposures to environmental
contaminants, indoor air pollution, for example) then look more closely
at aftertreatment of exhaust....whether in a diesel or a glycerol
burner - as your last line of defense before it hits the atmosphere.