[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 05:34
Mayor assails O'Hare price tag
Matt Baron
Chicago Tribune
Published February 20, 2004

ELMHURST -- Elmhurst Mayor Tom Marcucci
this week expressed emotions from vindication
to outrage over developments in Chicago's
effort to expand O'Hare International Airport.

He feels vindicated because for three years,
along with other leaders of the Suburban O'Hare
Commission, an O'Hare expansion foe, he has
been insisting that $15 billion would be the actual
cost for new runways, terminals and other facilities.

Two weeks ago the city more than doubled its
$6.6 billion estimate to $14.8 billion.

Marcucci is disheartened by a reaction to the
increased estimate from someone he described
as a "high-ranking Republican official." At the
City Council meeting Monday, the mayor said
the official told him, "It just means more jobs
for Illinois."

"That, to me, is quite stunning and disheartening,"
Marcucci said. "It is a political deal."

And Marcucci is outraged at what he says is the
Chicago media's failure to hold Chicago and
United Airlines accountable for the plan's
shortcomings.

Marcucci urged council members and residents
to attend a meeting convened by U.S. Sen. Peter
Fitzgerald at Fenton High School in Bensenville
on Sunday.

At that session, Fitzgerald, an O'Hare expansion
opponent, will discussion issues related to the
plan.

O'Hare expansion proponents say they expect
approval from the Federal Aviation Administration
this year, after the FAA conducts a study of
alternative proposals and the plan's environmental
impact.

Copyright …?2004, Chicago Tribune
=========

** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, this material is distributed without
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research
and educational purposes. **

AviationWatch is a service provided by the
ALLIANCE OF RESIDENTS CONCERNING O'HARE.
AReCO is an organization dedicated to protecting
the health, safety and welfare of individuals and
communities that are affected by the air transport
industry.
For more information see: http://www.areco.org

Hello,

I have just joined this list because of the apparent lack of
knowledge re the looming energy crisis about to hit YOU GUYS in the
US of A first.......
My name's Mike Stasse, and I am a very active member of the
Australian Greens in Queensland.  I just contested a seat in our
state elections and got more than 16% of the vote......  at least
we're on the political map.
I am an energy consultant with my own business designing solar
powered state of the art energy efficient houses.  see
http://www.greenhousedesign.green.net.au
That's my credentials out of the way.........
I've been studying peaking oil for nearly 12 months.  My first
reaction was 'can't be true, load of crap, etc'.
However, I am now ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN we are about to enter the most
tumultuous era in the entire history of the human race.
We have used about half the oil we were originally endowed with.  So
far so good you think, half is still left.
This is true, however, it's not HOW MUCH is left that matters, it's
HOW FAST we can get it.  Already the rate of extraction has begun
stagnating, supply cannot meet demand, particularly with China's
economy going ballistic.
The consequences of this event are double edged.....
For the last 100/150 yrs, economic growth has occured on the back of
constantly growing energy supplies........  without energy, it's
impossible to do ANY work.  Without oil, it's impossible to opencut
mine coal...... it'll be back to the pick and shovel days!
Without fossil fuels, the world population would NEVER have risen to
6+ billions.  We can only produce as much food as we do (which still
doesn't feed everybody anyway) without fertilisers and pesticides,
all produced with FFs.
So what happens when extraction rates go into decline?
The economy stops growing (HURRAH!), but as it's not 'designed' to
cope with this new phenomenon, it will crash.  With less food, so
will the population........  not nice.
We need to prepare.  This is where GREENS really come into their own,
because WE understand GREEN ECONOMICS, and ZERO GROWTH.  At least I
hope you do!
We also know about GREEN AGRICULTURE.
The important thing though is that WE MUST BE READY.  We must
prioritise the use of the remaining FFs to transition to those
alternatives that are viable (and THAT's a long story in itself)
BEFORE we actually 'run out' (we'll actually NEVER run out, fully 1/3
of the oil in the ground cannot be recovered, another long story...)
Whilst we must present our case with regard to climate change (here
in Brisbane where I live, we've had temperatures 2 to 10 degrees C
ABOVE AVERAGE for 2 weeks, last night was the hottest February night
EVER on record, and this weekend they're predicting daytime maximums
which will eclipse ALL FEBRUARY RECORDS - 41+ degrees C !) we cannot
any longer pretend we're not in serious doodoos over energy.
I know there will be skeptics among you on this list.  It took ME
months to come to grips with the knowledge that solar/wind/hydrogen
power was NOT going to save the day nor appease climate change.
I will upload a powerpoint presentation to the files section of this
list for you to look at......
I know there are Jay Hanson skeptics among you.....  nobody's
perfect, but do yourself a favour and visit http://www.dieoff.org
Further to my last post........  more info.
Mike Stasse
Australia
The Oil Crunch and The End of Growth
by Bill Butler
1/17/04
http://www.durangobill.com/OilCrunch.html
Growth has to stop sometime
Where we are going, what financial signs should we look for, and what
will happen to our standard of living.
Consider the following math problem.
Start with the present population of the world (about 6 billion (6 *
10^9) people). Assume the world's population grows at 2% per year.
(We were growing at this rate a few decades ago). We have records of
human history back to Babylonian/Sumerian times. (Let's say 5,393
years ago.) Project this growth rate another 5,393 years into the
future. Describe the result.
Further assumptions. Assume there are no restrictions on this growth.
Assume you can cram each person into a 1 ft. by 1 ft. by 3 ft.
rectangular solid. Ignore gravitational/relativistic effects.
Answer:
5393 years into the future there would be 144 million million million
million million million million million million [(6 * 10^9) *
1.02^5393 = 1.44 * 10^56] human beings. The volume required would
fill a sphere more than 1777 million million miles in diameter. (The
earth's diameter is less than 8,000 miles.) As the population would
still be increasing at 2% per year, this mass (mess?) would continue
to grow in size. In the first half of the following year the
expansion rate of the radius would reach the speed of light.
We can reasonably conclude the process will stop in less than 5,393
years. (If we include gravitational effects, we would collapse into a
black hole well before 5,393 years.) In order to get a better
prospective on when, how, and why the growth will stop; we turn to
mathematical models that reflect the real world.
The Limits To Growth
In 1968 a group of thirty scientists, educators, economists, etc. met
in Rome to discuss the growth problem. An economic/resource model was
constructed and fed into a computer. The output was the book "The
Limits To Growth" which was authored by Meadows, Meadows, Randers,
and Behrens in 1972. One of the components in the model
was "Nonrenewable Resources". At the time, no one knew what the most
vulnerable commodity (weakest link) was in this Nonrenewable
component - thus the model used a conglomerate representing many
Nonrenewables. The purpose of the model was to see what would happen
as you ran time forward; and as best as possible, get a ballpark idea
of when "The What" would happen.
The result of the research model was published in the book "The
Limits To Growth". The graph on page 129 showed the "Standard Run".
Other runs of the model used different starting conditions or changed
other variables. For example, a graph on page 133 showed the result
if you doubled the original amount of nonrenewable resources. In both
cases world population, industrial output per capita, and food per
capita would run up to an "overshoot maximum", and then fall off a
cliff. Doubling the nonrenewables just postponed things a couple of
decades.
At the time, the results were a very popular topic of conversation -
as in "Everyone talks about the weather". Everyone waited a few years
for the spectacle to unfurl. Nothing unusual happened. Everyone
dismissed the book and the "Club of Rome" as a bunch of crackpots.
Everyone forgot about the book. The book itself downplayed the time
element due to various unknowns, but all you had to do was look at
the time scale at the bottom of the graphs. Everyone failed to notice
that the "overshoot maximums" and subsequent cliffs weren't scheduled
for the 1970's. Everyone forgot that the "subsequent cliffs" were due
in the early part of the present century.
In the years since the 1970's we have done nothing to avert the
consequences, but we have learned what the weakest link is in
the "nonrenewables". We now have a better measurement of when and
how "The Crunch" will hit.
The weakest link in the "nonrenewables" turns out to be "fossil
fuels", and particular, oil.
Measuring the World's Oil
Over the years, there have been multiple estimates ("guesstimates")
of the earth's initial "endowment" as to reasonably recoverable
petroleum resources. In recent decades most of these estimates
for "regular oil" have clustered around 2 trillion (2 * 10^12)
barrels. Colin Campbell and Jean Laherrčre have done the best work of
organizing what is known plus estimating what remains to be found. In
March 1998 they published their conclusions in an article in
Scientific American. (Available online at either
http://dieoff.org/page140.htm or http://dieoff.org/page140.pdf). The
title of the article was "The End of Cheap Oil". In the years since
1998 "cornucopian economists" have tried to belittle the work done by
Campbell and Laherrčre. However, one overriding fact has emerged. In
March 1998 the average price for WTI oil was $15.02. Today it is more
than double this amount.
Jean Laherrčre and Colin Campbell have expanded their original work
and have formed the Association for the Study of Peak Oil & Gas
("ASPO"). Details about ASPO and links to their monthly newsletters
are available at the ASPO website (http://www.peakoil.net/), and I
have additional information from these and other sources at
http://www.durangobill.com/Rollover.html. Most of these models
conclude that the world's production of crude oil will hit a maximum
sometime about 2010 to 2015 and then go into decline. This decline in
oil production will generate the "cliff" in the world's economy that
was forecast by "The Limits to Growth" model.
There are two advantages to using any predictive model. First, a
model provides a reference system and can guide forecasts of what
will happen in the future. Second, as new information becomes
available, the model can be updated/modified to refine these forecasts.
Should we believe the dire forecasts that result from these models?
The Dire Forecasts May be too Optimistic
In the last year there have been several hints that assumptions made
in generating the above graph and model may be too optimistic. If
this is true, the peak in oil production may actually occur before  2010.
The "official" 2002 measurement of Saudi Arabia's oil reserves
(according to the Oil & Gas Journal) is 259.3 billion barrels. The
ASPO model assumes that Saudi Arabia's remaining oil reserves plus
future discoveries will total about 206 billion barrels, and Saudi
Arabia will be able to increase production from these resources in
the future. At ASPO's 2003 seminar in Paris, Iran's Ali Bakhtiari
indicated that Saudi Arabia might only have 130-160 billion barrels
left. (http://www.peakoil.net/iwood2003/paper/BakhtiariPaper.doc)
Matt Simmons (Simmons International http://www.simmonsco-intl.com)
has said "Over the last year. I have obtained and closely examined
more than 100 very technical production reports from Saudi Arabia.
What I glean from examining the data is that it is very likely that
Saudi Arabia, already a debtor nation, has very likely gone over its
Peak." In Dec. 2003, Aramco confirmed these downgrades when they
announced that over the next 5 years Saudi Arabia does not plan to
expand production above current levels.
The "official" measurement of Iraq's oil reserves (according to the
Oil & Gas Journal) is 112.5 billion barrels. The ASPO model assumes
that Iraq's remaining oil reserves plus future discoveries will total
about 118 billion barrels (ASPO Newsletter 26), and they will be
increasing production in the future. A technical article published by
AAPG's Search and Discovery subsidiary indicates there are only 41
billion barrels left in Iraq's 28 largest fields.
(http://www.searchanddiscovery.net/documents/gong03/index.htm)  Since
then, there have been hints that Iraq's fields have been damaged by
inefficient production methods over the last decade, and this would
reduce recoverable reserves still further.
Finally, in January 2004 Royal Dutch/Shell downgraded their estimated
reserves by 20%. It is interesting to speculate how many more of
these downgrades have yet to be disclosed.
If the above refinements of the model are true, then "The Peak" will
be brought forward in time. But, as dire as the above model and
forecast appears, it gets worse.
The Crunch
In addition to the above supply side of the equation, we also have to
consider the demand factor. Over the next few years, the world's
population will continue to expand. On balance, each of these people
will want an increasing supply of fossil fuel energy. As we
approach "The Peak" the relentless increase in demand will outstrip
the last remaining expansion in supply. Thus the total demand will
run into a ceiling before the actual "Peak" is reached. The geologic
supply restriction will set in at this point. Even before this point
is reached, the energy return on energy investment will continue to
decline. The "easy" oil is pretty much gone. The remaining oil will
take a proportionately larger unit of input for each unit produced.
The World's Economy
Over the last 100 years the world's economy (and population) has
expanded tremendously due to utilization of fossil fuels. In the past
it has taken relatively little energy to get oil out of the ground,
and the products derived from oil have produced a great benefit to
world. It is this huge difference between "selling price" and "cost
of production" that has produced the "energy profit" to drive the
world's economy. As "easy oil" disappears and is replaced
by "difficult oil", this "profit margin" will continue to disappear.
Then, after "The Peak", we will have less "product" to sell whether
there is any "profit" or not. If you compare this "world economy" to
the operation of an ordinary business, the conclusion should be the same.
Finally, it is easier to look at the big picture as if you had
inherited a large amount of money. If you inherited a fortune, you
could splurge, live-it-up, etc. until you had spent everything. Then
what?
The human race has inherited a large endowment of fossil fuels,
courtesy of 500 million years of geological storage of solar energy.
Our technology has not fabricated a way to create energy. We have
only learned how to raid the bank account. We are living-it-up and
splurging the whole inheritance. Now what?
What to watch for and a rough timetable
As we approach "The Crunch" what are the signs to watch for. The most
obvious of course is increases in energy prices. Oil prices will tend
to rise relentlessly. (In North America, natural gas prices are
already up sharply, and over time, will continue higher. Efforts to
alleviate the demand/supply gap with imported LNG will not bring down
prices.)
Before "The Oil Crunch", the diminishing margin between maximal
supply and demand means it will take less in the way of "temporary
problems" to produce short term price spikes. Temporary relief
resulting from the occasional periods when "everything goes right"
will diminish in frequency. After the crunch begins in earnest, oil
distribution will be allocated via price. The highest bidders will
get what oil is available. Everyone else will get a diminishing
supply of scraps.
Products that depend on oil and natural gas will be the
first  "collateral damage" victims. It takes a lot of natural gas
(fertilizer) and oil (pesticides, processing, transportation, etc.)
to obtain today's high crop yields per acre. As fossil fuel expenses
go up, farmers will have to increase food prices just to break even.
Then as the supply of fossil fuels begins to decrease, the world's
supply of food will also begin to decrease. At this point there will
be little difference as to whether your Internet access is by dial-up
or broadband.
Indicators and Financial Signs
First, you should realize that the following sequence will be spread
over at least a decade. As we approach "The Crunch", there will be an
extended period of rising oil and natural gas prices as speculators
begin to take long positions in anticipation of coming shortages.
Countries that have large reserves (e.g. Saudi Arabia) will begin to
hoard what they have got, as opposed to increasing production. It
will become increasingly obvious that anyone who has large energy
resources in the ground owns a valuable commodity. We appear to be
beginning this stage now.
Except for temporary respites when "everything goes right" the rise
in oil prices will be relentless. There will be logical explanations
that oil will be plentiful and cheaper in the near future. The
politicians will assure us that everything will be OK. The price of
oil will continue to rise.
Other signs that should appear in the financial markets would be
falling bond prices (rising interest rates) in spite of Federal
Reserve (and other government) efforts. As "Capital Requirements"
escalate in attempts to finance more oil exploration and production,
the money will have to be drawn from somewhere. This phase hasn't
started yet, but may do so in coming months. If/when you see 30-year
bond rates go over 6% and T-bill rates over 2%, it should be a good
confirmation that "The Crunch" is underway. This will probably be
accompanied by oil prices in excess of $40. Eventually most other
securities will start their declines as the era of growth comes to an
end, and the era of contraction begins.
Food prices are likely to rise rapidly. Agriculture is basically a
process of turning fossil fuels into food. When fossil fuel prices
rise, food will follow. The world's food supply will begin to
decrease. What food is available will be allocated by price. Those
people that can't afford the price will be left behind.
Precious metals may not fare well. In an ordinary financial crisis,
people tend to buy gold, silver, etc. to protect their purchasing
power. However, in the expected energy crisis, precious metals will
have to be sold in order to pay for the basics of life.
Finally, there will be a widespread decrease in our standard of
living. Our standard of living is a product of ample fossil fuels
(and in particular oil) that can be supplied via a "large profit
margin". Without the profit margin, which in turn will be followed by
less fossil fuel energy, someone has to lose. Eventually (decades
from now), the earth's population will stabilize at a lower level
that can be sustained by renewable resources, but we face a very
difficult time making the transition.
Text given in this message was from Mike Stasse, energyresources
yahoo group to [EMAIL PROTECTED]