murdoch wrote:
> When the Valdez and other Oil Spills have occurred, I had to wonder
> why they couldn't burn much of the Oil off the surface, even if they
> had to temporarily evacuate some towns because of smoke.  In this
> case, also, I wonder if they could have burned some of this fuel off,
> though I guess not immediately if they were worried about possible
> survivors floating in the wreckage.  Also, if the ethanol dissipated
> quickly, maybe this would have made a burn harder, even if the
> faster-than-oil-dissipation would not prevent a kill zone, as you say.
>
> You'll probably tell me there's plenty wrong or un-doable, with this
> idea of burning off the fuel, but there sure seems to be plenty wrong
> with having it wash up on beaches, kill fish and foul and other
> wildlife, hurt industries, cost billions or dozens of billions, and
> cost jobs, etc.

Hi Murdoch,
Ethanol will disperse and decompose in the water much quicker than would
oil. In the article they mentioned being most worried about the bunker
oil used to power the ship.
yes, ethanol is still poisonous, but I'd rather drink ethanol than
diesel fuel. (I'm sure fish would too)

Martin Klingensmith
http://infoarchive.net/
http://nnytech.net/