<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Thanks for the info!  I did _not_ know how the
regulations were put in
place before you gave me the interest to go look to see where I got
the wrong idea.

I looked into the topic a little more today.  Yep, there was no
regulation forcing MTBE.  Many other chemicals could have been used.
MTBE was already in gasoline in smaller percentages as an octane
booster, and had the least impact on air quality (best results for the
original application).  MTBE gave better initial performance, but now
we are discovering that it can be detected by taste in extremely small
ppm quantities in water, even below what is apparently the damger
level for healh issues.

Ethanol, the runner-up it seems, gets the reputation of requiring
changes in gasoline blending systems, changes in transport, has a high
evaporation rate that supposedly causes more smog problems, and has
the ability to increase the spread of chemicals like benzine when
gasoling enters the water system.  We've got better systems now, but
back when this was being kicked around for the RFG process it
apparently caused some corrosion issues in car fuel systems.  Sources
do not agree about the financial impact of the changes needed.  I also
saw differing ideas on the energy efficiency of the production
process.  I read the discussion here not long ago.  OTOH, I found
this, "Tad Patzek, an engineering professor at the University of
California-Berkeley, reviews all of the existing studies and provides
some new data. Patzek's analysis indicates that "as much fossil energy
is used to produce corn ethanol as can be gained from it." (p. 9) His
analysis more fully takes into account the entire energy chain than
the earlier reports from Argonne National Laboratory and the
Department of Agriculture did, and suggest that ethanol production and
use is not a positive-energy choice."

What seems to be near the bottom of the whole issue is the laws in the
CAA that were written to require certain oxygen percentages in the
fuel.  This forces use of a chemical that meets that requirement, not
any other possible system that meets the overall emissions goal in the
best overall manner.  I always worry when laws start to set the exact
process, because laws change a lot slower than technology.  I'm used
to dealing with enviro. laws that require Best Available Technology
(BAT).  That seems to be a better way to deal with the issue.

I thought the best article I found was the simple idea that if you've
got an MTBE problem in water, then you have a gasoline problem.  It is
mmisleading to deal with it just as MTBE by itself.

Does that clear up the legal issues around the MTBE fiasco for you?
Not for me, either.  Seems to me that it could be dealt with using the
existing pollution laws.  Well, hopefull a more sane set of them than
what I see being used many times!

If anyone wants some www links to the info I found let me know.

Ed

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511