<x-charset ISO-8859-1>"The Administration has no interest in appropriating
Iraq's oil. This
was a war for control of the world price of oil; a much more
important and lucrative prize."

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.php?sid=14529&mode=nested&order=0
The Smirking Chimp

Michael Bryan: 'The oil coup'
Wednesday, January 14
By Michael Bryan, Blog For Arizona

Incremental revelations over the past months clearly indicate that
the reasons given by the Administration for war on Iraq were empty
lies. They were designed and fabricated to whip America into state of
fear and hatred sufficient to allow this Administration to undertake
a preemptive war of aggression against a largely prostrate foe. The
one reason left standing that the Administration will admit is that
we needed to demonstrate our strength and resolve to states in the
Middle East who might harbor terrorists or try to develop WMD.
However, given that Iraq had neither and was attacked anyhow, it's an
ambiguous demonstration, at best.

The reason was not WMD. It was not terrorism. It was not democracy.
It was not human rights. It was not decade-old war crimes. It was
nothing contained in any of the of the Administration's sophistry.

Having cleared away the Administration's camouflage, the essential
question remains: why? Why have 500 American's given their lives in
Iraq? Why have 3000 Americans suffered terrible wounds and pain? Why
have thousands of Iraqis been murdered? Why have Americans paid
hundreds of billions for this war? Was there any sensible reason at
all?

By far the most important reason why Iraq is geo-strategically
significant is oil. The answer is simple, but not simplistic.

Those who think the Iraq war was for Iraq's oil misunderstand the
dynamics of global power. The Administration has no interest in
appropriating Iraq's oil. This was a war for control of the world
price of oil; a much more important and lucrative prize. In this
distinction lies the implications of Bush's Oil Coup for the world. I
term it a coup because it overturned the Constitutional restrictions
on Executive power domestically, and the international legal order
internationally.

Western oil companies no longer control the price of oil. This
perception is an anachronism. They are marketers of oil and oil
products; nothing more. They may affect the spot price of oil by
stockpiling, but they lost control of the world oil market in the
years prior to the OPEC crisis of 1973. They would dearly love to
regain control.

The current world oil system is producer based. This means the price
of oil is set largely by the variable of how much oil is pumped out
of the ground and into the delivery infrastructure. Sounds like a
free market, but it isn't. The amount pumped is carefully limited to
ensure higher prices. The exact spot price may be determined by the
futures market, but it moves within a constrained range, not freely.

The amount of oil available in the market is largely determined by
OPEC, a cartel of oil producers that has proven quite adept at
controlling production, and thereby the price, of oil. Although OPEC
does not include all producers, nor are all OPEC nations in the Gulf,
OPEC and the Gulf members remain the lynchpins of world productive
capacity.

Because producers in the Gulf have effectively nationalized their oil
industries, world oil price is largely a matter of Gulf security and
OPEC politics. Controlling oil prices entails either using military
domination the Gulf to set production limits or leadership of OPEC by
dint of one's ability to absorb major cut-backs in production to meet
OPEC targets; both would be best. There currently is no regional
power with the strength to take the former path. The Shah came near
to performing that role for us before he fell, and Saddam aspired to
that role, and may have taken it if he had invaded Saudi Arabia as
well as Kuwait, but contrary to our interests. But there is one who
is able to lead OPEC. Currently, this role falls to Saudi Arabia, our
increasingly less comfortable friend. They are the only nation in
OPEC able to combine vast production capacity with the technical
ability and political willingness to cut their own production on
demand. Others, including Iraq, have massive reserves, but lack
flexibility.

The Bush Administration's goal in this war is the creation of a proxy
state to militarily dominate the Gulf also having enough productive
capacity to destroy Saudi Arabia's de facto control of OPEC and world
oil prices. Historically, America has failed in fostering the
emergence of a stable American proxy in the Gulf and no producer
under our sway has the capacity to break Saudi control of OPEC. Bush
hopes to defy history in one bold coup: by taking control of Iraq.
The move is hoped to counter-balance an increasingly resurgent Iran,
moderate Syria's policies in Lebanon and the West Bank by our
proximity, lessen our reliance on an ever more unstable Saudi Arabia,
and put our military might near the crèches of terrorist activity.
Bush certainly intended for Iraq to be the central front in the war
on terror, as a base to project power, not as a frontline target for
attacks.

Candidates for the role of our Gulf proxy had to have a significant
population for military purposes and extravagant oil reserves. The
only real candidates are Iraq and Iran. Most of the Gulf states,
including Saudi Arabia, lack sufficient population for the job. Syria
lacks sufficient oil. Pakistan has the bomb. Of the two candidates,
Iraq offered several advantages; Saddam is hated and mistrusted in
West (easier to sell an invasion), his base of political support was
narrower than the broad popular support Iran's regime enjoys (easier
to destabilize), Iraq was militarily weak from a decade of sanctions
(easier to fight), and it has an ethnically and religiously divided
population (easier to control by the use of factionalism).

Now that we have control of Iraq and it's oil fields, we will turn
the taps on full as soon as we're able with the unquestionable excuse
of raising money to rebuild Iraq and provide humanitarian relief to
the Iraqi people. We will deliver on our promise to rebuild, though
it is likely that much of those funds will end up in the pockets of
the multinationals who get the contracts. Our real purpose however is
the 'side effect' of increasing supply, depressing the price of oil.
It may take few years to refit old rigs with the latest technology
and to open untapped reserves, but eventually Iraqi production can be
made to swamp Saudi ability to cut production. Once the Saudis can
afford to cut production no further to adjust for new Iraqi supplies,
the Administration can control the world price of oil and become the
de facto leader of OPEC. Only instead of keeping prices artificially
high by holding down production, we can keep oil prices fairly low
and stable by ensuring high production regardless of other producer's
attempts to cut supply. This strategy may also be the reason Bush is
so desperate to open Alaska's ANWAR to drilling; any source of
additional supply helps him break OPEC.

Meanwhile, the forces and bases required by the occupation and
administration of Iraq will make us a major permanent military force
in the Gulf. No matter what Bush says, he has no intention of
significantly drawing down our force structure in the Gulf any time
soon. Our power will be increasing enhanced by a compliant, U.S.
equipped and trained Iraqi armed forces. Between these two factors,
our dominant position in the Gulf will be unquestionable. We will
become the guarantors of security in the Gulf; a stabilizing force as
well as a coercive one. Stability will ensure that the oil continues
to flow, coercion will ensure that it will remain cheap.

Bush thinks that low and stable energy costs will foster worldwide
economic recovery and long term prosperity. He's likely right. But at
the same time, price incentives to develop conservation technologies
and alternative energy sources will all but disappear. Big oil will
continue to dominate the energy sector of the world economy. Progress
toward reducing greenhouse emissions will likely stall. American
energy dependence on Gulf oil, and Gulf politics, will grow.

The Oil Coup's effect on American security is debatable. We will have
permanent power projection into the Gulf which no government can
embarrass or inconvenience us by gainsaying our use of bases.
However, our presence will be an even stronger irritant, and target,
to terrorists and to restive Gulf governments being cheated of their
'rightful' oil revenues. Our ability to control events in the region
will be enhanced, but our ability to remain aloof from the violent
and unpredictable politics of the Middle East will be reduced. The
incentives for terrorists to strike at our population will grow.

Is it a plausible plan? Absolutely. Audacious and bold, it will
revolutionize the balance of world power, and escalate the conflict
between the Arab world and ourselves. It links the world's greatest
military power with control of the world's most important resource.
Is Bush's vision of the future right or wrong for America? That is a
judgment that everyone needs to make for themselves based on their
values and worldview. However, one cannot make an informed judgement
about the wisdom of the course Bush has charted without solid
information, and the Administration has not laid it's cards on the
table about it's real motives, even if they do not align with my
speculations.

Bush has done our democracy no service by his secrecy; America has
never, and now may never, get the opportunity to discuss whether this
is the kind of future we want. After all, if 9/11 was a message to
get out of the Middle East, the wisdom of increasing our presence in
the region dramatically is certainly debatable. More abstractly, we
never got to have the discussion if we want to be the sort of nation
that uses force unilaterally to enhance its own power. Certainly a
nation has a right to protect its security, but if the real threat
Bush was responding to was the increasing political risks in the
Middle East threatening the world's supply of oil, don't we deserve a
chance to have a debate about what we should do about it?

Most people still believe this is a democracy. Presidents have
deceived America into doing what must be done before, our entry into
WWI and WWII were both accomplished employing some deceptions, but
does this threat justify such means? I don't think it does, but
opinions will differ. Notice, however, that a rational and civil
discussion can be based upon real motives, while screaming matches
and personal aspersions are the inevitable result of debating about
lies. If nothing else, Bush has made America a divided and rancorous
place with his lies.

I do not know for a fact that these are the Administration's motives
for carrying out the Oil Coup. The actual plan is likely more complex
with multiple objectives, but this is the most likely primary
purpose. I made an assumption (it is up to you to decide how
warranted it is) that the Administration is acting rationally, and
deduced this to be the most reasonable objective for invading Iraq
setting aside all criteria except strategic cogency. The most
vulnerable point in the Middle East was clearly Iraq, and the most
valuable prize, control over the world's oil supply, was there for
the taking. Given a rational power maximizing motive, the US would
act to exploit those conditions. I propose that this Administration
did exactly that. The only motive of sufficient weight that could
justify the expense and diplomatic costs of this war to the elites of
this nation is long-term strategic control of the Gulf region via an
Iraqi proxy and control of world oil prices by breaking OPEC.

The no bid contracts, additional defense spending, and cementation of
their political control are considerable, but clearly secondary,
benefits. I suspect that the Bechtel and Halliburton contracts are
red flags waived before the bull's eyes. Outraged by such blatant
political corruption and influence peddling, most will not look
beyond these for additional fiscal motives. We know that a wholesale
restructuring and privatization of Iraq is occurring, but haven't
much hard data on private economic activity there. This manipulation
is also a secondary goal, and also illegal. The Iraqi economy
promises considerable potential for investment growth, but creation
of a lucrative new market is a modest goal in comparison to the main
objective of the Oil Coup.

Were the invasion of Iraq a purely baseless and irrational policy,
predicated only upon the wild dreams of Neo-Cons and Bush's filial
revenge fantasies, Bush would already be facing impeachment. Very
powerful forces in America find the Oil Coup a very reasonable
proposal indeed. Whether the United States' adoption of such a
geostrategic position in the Middle East is desirable or sustainable
is yet to be seen, but the human costs involved are so extreme they
make this policy highly unethical, regardless of its success. I fear
that the way in which the Bush Administration engineered the Oil Coup
may be so costly to our democracy that we will soon find our
political institutions as deeply in deficit as our fisc.

Welcome to the real new world order.