A vigilant list member who prefers to be nameless points out that
there's a mistake in this:

<snip>

>Re heating elements, Matt Pozzi gave us this useful number a while back:
>
>"... make a rough extimate of the elements area of contact with the
>oil (length*pi*radius squared) and make sure the output will be
>around or less than 3W/sq cm, this will ensure no burning of the oil
>whilst heating. Elsewise you will need to stir while heating."

<snip>

(length*pi*radius squared) will give you the volume of the heating
element, not the surface area - that should be length*pi*2*radius, or
length*pi*diameter.

I didn't notice that, but when I figured it out for our element I did
it right anyway, surface area, not volume - sorry about that, and
thanks again to Mr Nameless.

Best