Hello Leif

>Dear Group~
>
>I feel like I'm missing a critical piece of information regarding FFA
>and transesterification.
>
>Ideal vegetable oil is triglycerides.  Due to factors (like water
>contamination, exposure to excessive heat, or long storage times) the
>triglycerides can break into mono and di-glycerides, also known as free
>fatty acids and enemy of transesterification.

No, that's not right. FFAs form this way, not mono- and diglycerides.
Well, they can, to an extent, but it doesn't interfere with the
process, and FFAs do.

>We add a base catalyst to facilitate the cracking of the triglyceride.
>Aren't mono and di-glycerides (aka FFAs)

Not aka FFAs. FFAs are Free Fatty Acids - free of a glycerine molecule.

>formed when the triglyceride
>is cracked?  If so, why can't the FFA's bond with the added methyl
>alcohol to form methyl esters?

That would be esterification, not transesterification. Hence the
acid-base process - esterification of the FFAs followed by
transesterification of the glycerides.

>If FFAs are not formed when the base
>cracks the triglyceride what is formed?
>
>I think part of the answer to this question lies in the difference
>between FFAs and esters.   What am I missing here?

FFAs and esters are different. FFAs and mono- and diglycerides are
also different, and I think that's what you're missing. It's
explained here:

How the process works
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#howprocess

What are Free Fatty Acids?