http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/03/11/s
tate0124EST0264.DTL

Corporate America can't ignore global warming, Gore says

RACHEL KONRAD, AP Business Writer
                Thursday, March 11, 2004

(03-11) 22:24 PST STANFORD, Calif. (AP) --

Detroit automakers and other American companies must stop ignoring
the mounting scientific evidence of global warming or else the United
States will become an economic laggard and the environment will
deteriorate beyond repair, former Vice President Al Gore told
students at one of the nation's top business schools.

"The American auto companies have sat around, and instead of hiring
more engineers to solve the problem they hired more lawyers to fight
the requirement that they do the right thing," Gore said Thursday
night to about 200 students at Stanford University's Graduate School
of Business.

The former Democratic presidential candidate seemed particularly
upset at a deal announced this week in which Ford Motor Co. will
purchase hybrid engine technology from Japanese giant Toyota Motor
Corp., which can't keep up with demand for its fuel-efficient Prius
sedan.

"Detroit should be embarrassed," Gore admonished, arms flailing and
voice booming in a campus auditorium on Stanford's palm-studded
campus. "We ought to make this a massive strategic goal -- an
organizing principle whereby we focus our research dollars and
attention and effort to focus on these problems," he said of
environmentally friendly technology.

Gore, a Tennessee native and frequent visitor to Silicon Valley, said
development of solar and other alternative energy sources could
create thousands of new jobs and revive the flagging U.S. tech sector.

The Arctic ice cap will disappear within 50 years if it continues
melting at its current pace, causing massive flooding, heat waves and
catastrophic storms, Gore warned.

During a question and answer session, one student asked why many U.S.
citizens seemed unconcerned about the environment and why politicians
seemed more focused on terrorism.

Gore said that the Bush administration has misled Americans about the
connections between Saddam Hussein and the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist
attacks, and mainstream media have failed in their jobs as watchdogs
on the government.

"Television induces a quasi-hypnotic state," said Gore, a former
newspaper reporter. "The immune system that used to protect our
democracy against big lies and faulty perceptions no longer protects
us as it used to."

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511