On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:27:08 EST, you wrote:

>In a message dated 3/15/2004 10:45:59 AM Central Standard Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>.  Then we could ask
>what the point is, and under what circumstances we might want to make
>use of this process, and under what circumstances leave the ethanol
>alone.
>The objective was to make hydrogen for fuel cells, whether for laptop
>computers or automobiles or tractors or whatever.  I doubt that one would get
>more
>energy out of ethanol used directly in a fuel cell, assuming you could get
>one.

But it is possible that you could.  Medis makes small energy-efficient
ethanol powered fuel cells.  At least, it's my understanding that
they're energy efficient.  Their process depends on some sort of
secret ingredient as well, but once prepared, it's good enough so that
you could go, say, from Vodka bottle to laptop power without too much
fanfare.

Direct Methanol Fuel Cells have been around for awhile, and although
ethanol-powered fuel cells are not as common, at least one or two
companies seem to be involved with them.

Exact efficiency numbers, I don't know.  I do know Medis has said
their cell is not scaleable up to larger sizes, and the DMFC units
I've seen are very low wattage.