I don't really want to get into this debate....  but I think we do get
something out of that 50%, unlike slaves.  We have roads, social services,
all variety of things we depend on.
The slaves of the old South got something for their 50%: clothes, housing,
health care, roads, all variety of things he depended on.  Master behaved much
as today's nanny state does, except the overhead (office buildings,
bureaucrats, etc.) was lower.  Of course, if the slave tried to run away, armed
men might
go after him.  If I don't pay my taxes, armed men will come after me.  I may
not be flogged, but I can be imprisoned and impoverished.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511