Bush has done this repeatedly; made committments in 'State of the Union'
speeches which he has no intention of keeping.
Bush may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but his spin doctors are quick
witted and cynical.  Here are some examples:

10 billion for HIV/ AIDS in Africa.
(Bush thinks Hmm.. that ought to shut up the social activists for a while.  The
fine print saying that we will only support programs which promote abstainance
will appease the religious right and ensure that most of the money remains
impossible to deliver.  The Senate will bury it anyway.    Either way Bush gets
the nice guy points.  Most poeple won't realize it never happened).

Putting men on Mars.  360 billion or so...but who's counting
( This is gonna get all those Star Trek nerds to shut up and go back to trying
to talk to aliens.  Anyone who thinks that the house won't quietly scuttle this
has lost 40 points of IQ by achieving a successful mind-meld with a cucumber.
Bush wins political nerd points for even talking about it.  Bonus points for
keeping a straight face).

Now,  DOE to spend 1.7billion on hydrogen technology.
(Bush thinks to himself, "This ought to shut up those tree hugging eco-freaks.
The DOE spends more on paper-clips, but a lot of soccer-moms with Greenpeace
and Sierra Club bumper stickers on their 8 mpg Chevy Yukon's will breath a sigh
of relief that the president is looking after the environment).

Sorry if I'm ranting, but do you see a pattern?
Dave

rgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Does anyone can help me in explaining why Bush administration is willing to
spend money on research for Hydrogen technologies instead on other natural
resources such as biodiesel?
I would be very interested if the explanation come from econonic or business
or even technology's perspective. Hope the logic explanation is not
political cause that is not logical.

Have a nice day
Ric G