  From: Keith Addison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 2:30 PM
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: RE: [biofuel] OT: Food for thought, John Stossel's New Book, Give
Me a Break

  Hello Ryan

  >Wow, have any of you read his book?  Has anyone on the list read it?  He
has
  >valid points, especially when it comes to risk aversion and the means we
go
  >to to save ourselves from miniscule threats.  His whole point is that the
  >number one factor that decides how long we will live is whether or not we
  >live in poverty, and makes a great case for how capitalism saves those
who
  >participate from poverty.  He talks about how government is getting too
big
  >in this country, about how much money that gets wasted as they fail time
  >after time after time.  He talks about how the private sector can do such
  >better job than the public sector of saving ourselves from ourselves.  He
  >even talks about ADM and their success in squashing competition by using
  >government subsidies on ethanol.  I encourage you to give it a read, it
may
  >be eye opening, totally changed my view on Nader too.

  :-) In which direction? ... a "fear-monger" who "screamed about
  everything" maybe?

  Now, what was it I said about young master Stossel?

  >  >>  Stossel's a liar and a cheat, just another industry front-man,
close
  >  >>  links with the usual suspects, no integrity.

  That's about right.

  First though, since you've read the book, how do you think Stossel
  would react to Peter Montague's two-part article on the Precautionary
  Principle that I just posted the second part of?
  http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/34034/

  So, where to start? There's many megabytes of record on Stossel's
  lying. Start with the book I suppose. Stossel threw a launch party
  for the book - or rather Reason Magazine did. They're old friends,
  Stossel and Reason Magazine. Reason is a libertarian magazine
  published by the Reason Foundation. A favourite guest of Stossel's is
  "science writer" Michael Fumento, well-known for circulating
  misleading tobacco propaganda. He's worked for the Competitive
  Enterprise Institute and Consumer Alert, and Reason Magazine - all
  recipients of tobacco funding (especially from Phillip Morris), and
  he's now a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute, which also receives
  tobacco funding, among other things - more on them later. Check out
  the Reason Foundation's funding:
  http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Reason_Foundation

  And the Competitive Enterprise Institute, while we're at it - there's
  a lot about them in the archives too, Biofuel list members have had
  serious run-ins with the CEI in the past, NOT friends of biofuels!

http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Competitive_Enterprise_Institut

  Note this bit (and see below, Case 1): "CEI has also worked to
  cultivate a relationship with John Stossel, the controversial
  correspondent for ABC-TV's 20/20 program. When Stossel came under
  fire in August 2000 for citing nonexistent scientific studies on a
  20/20 segment bashing organic foods, CEI set up a "Save John Stossel"
  website to help him keep his job. Stossel returned the favor..."

  Anyway, Greg Goldin wrote a piece on the book launch for LA Weekly:
  http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/11/a.php
  Stossel's Choirboys

  Stossel objected in a letter to the LA Weekly, denying a quote
  attributed to him, and rather strangely objecting to little else
  Goldin had said. This was the quote, quite well-known: "Years ago,
  when he quit exposing consumer rip-offs, he told a Federalist Society
  audience, 'I got sick of it. I also now make so much money, I just
  lost interest in saving a buck on a can of peas.'" Here's Stossel's
  objection, and Goldin's reply:
  http://laweekly.com/ink/04/14/letters.php
  Selective Memory

  Did he say it or not? For this and more, see what Russell Mokhiber
  and Robert Weissman have to say about it - editor of the Corporate
  Crime Reporter and editor of the Multinational Monitor, respectively:
  http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/corp-focus/2004/000177.html

  No big deal? Maybe not, but read what Mokhiber and Weissman say
  before you decide. "... the reporter in question has a network
  television show that influences millions of Americans on the issue he
  cares about deeply -- protecting and preserving corporate power in
  America. And he has a book on the New York Times bestseller list
  defending his thesis. And he questions whether he said what we said
  he said. So, hear us out."

  Two other cases (there are plenty more!).

  1. "The Food You Eat" - Stossel and organic food

  http://www.commondreams.org/views/082100-103.htm
  Cultivating the Truth About Organics
  August 21, 2000, San Francisco Chronicle
  by Brian Halweil
  I WATCHED IN DISBELIEF as John Stossel, co-anchor of ABC's "20/20,''
  delivered a half-hearted apology August 11 for falsifying evidence in
  a report that claimed organic produce is potentially more dangerous
  than food raised using toxic agrochemicals, antibiotics, added
  hormones, genetically engineered seeds and massive animal-feeding
  factories.
  [more]

  http://www.nytimes.com/library/financial/073100abc-organic.html
  July 31, 2000
  Report on Organic Foods Is Challenged

  http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020107&s=dowie2
  December 20, 2001
  Food Fight
  by Mark Dowie

  http://www.fair.org/activism/stossel-organic-foods.html
  Stossel Fabricated Data on Organics, Researchers Say
  August 1, 2000

  http://www.konformist.com/2000/stossel.htm
  The Konformist - John Stossel, Junk Journalism & the Poison Peddlers
  From The November 2000 Issue of Natural Foods Merchandiser
  Connecting The Dots: John Stossel, ABC And Agribusiness
  Barbara Keeler and Robert Sterling
  "... We have, however, connected the dots from Stossel and ABC back
  to Monsanto, DuPont, Dow, ConAgra and others with vested interests in
  discrediting organic foods."

  If you've checked those out, you'll have encountered another of
  Stossel's friends, Denis Avery of the Hudson Institute, mentioned
  above.

  http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous2.html#1008
  Talking pure manure
  2000/10/8
  Agribusiness mouth Denis T. Avery keeps claiming that "people who eat
  organic and 'natural' foods are eight times as likely as the rest of
  the population to be attacked by a deadly new strain of E. coli
  bacteria (0157:H7)" -- despite solid proof that his "evidence" and
  "tests" are all falsified. In fact nearly all cases of E. coli
  0157:H7 poisoning result from contaminated meat from industrial
  factory farms and meat processing plants, NOT organic farms. So why
  does he keep claiming it? Because the truth hurts.

  The Hudson Institute made a slight slip-up a couple of years ago and
  published a full list of donors on their website. It wasn't there for
  long! But I downloaded it. A real rogue's gallery of all the usual
  suspects in the world of right-wing think-tanks, Wise Use spinners
  and Astroturf industry fronts.

  2. "Tampering With Nature" - Stossel and schools

  The CEI report continues: "... Stossel returned the favor the
  following year by working with Michael Sanera to put together a
  program titled "Tampering With Nature" that focused on attacking
  environmental education. In March 2001, a pesticide industry front
  group known as Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment (RISE)
  sent out an action alert memorandum to its members. "Mr. Sanera has
  been contacted by ABC News," the memo stated." A producer for John
  Stossel is working on a program on environmental education. He needs
  examples of kids who have been 'scared green' by schools teaching
  doomsday environmentalism in the classroom. ... He has some examples,
  but needs more. Would you send out a notice to your group and ask if
  they know of some examples. Then contact Mr. Sanera ... Let's try to
  help Mr. Stossel. He treats industry fairly in his programs."
  Apparently neither Stossel nor CEI applied similar standards of
  fairness toward the schoolteachers and students they interviewed.
  Prior to the program's air date in July, several California parents
  of children interviewed by Stossel filed a complaint with ABC,
  stating that they had been misled about the nature of the program and
  the types of leading questions their kids would be asked. Seattle
  teacher John Borowski also being approached by ABC producer Ted
  Balaker, who attempted to trick him into appearing on camera by
  claiming that he was making a documentary about Earth Day, while
  denying that he was working with Stossel and Sanera."

  Here's the full story:

  Scared Green! How John Stossel, ABC, Rightwing Think Tanks, and the
  Chemical Industry Are Colluding to Trash Environmental Education
  http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previousadd.html

  And here:

  Smoke and Mirrors: How polluters influence environmental education --
  Corporations now view schools as convenient locations for the
  dissemination of propaganda debunking environmental concerns -- John
  F. Borowski, Utne Reader, May 09, 2001
  http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previousadd2.html

  Get 'em when they're young. That's the reality of what Stossel does,
  smoke and mirrors. This is what he helps to veil, to distract
  attention from:
  http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous3.html#eduspin

  Read the whole thing while you're at it:
  The Enemies of Democracy
  http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous3.html#070701

  From another piece:

  "Stossel and ABC have some dubious connections of their own. As the
  segment was produced, ABC was receiving a percentage of sales from
  "Stossel in the Classroom," educational materials published by the
  Palmer R. Chitester Fund based on Stossel's ABC reports. On the Board
  of Associates of the Chitester Fund sits Herb London, the President
  of the Hudson Institute, employer of Stossel's main hatchet man
  against organics, Dennis Avery. The Hudson Institute receives funding
  from chemical and agribusiness companies such as Monsanto, DuPont,
  and ConAgra. The Chitester Fund itself relies heavily on
  contributions from organizations regarded as ultra conservative, and
  boasts a board of high-profile right wingers.

  "The Chitester Fund relies on contributions from the Olin Foundation.
  Olin also gave to the Hudson Institute $125,000 in 1993 and $300,000
  in 1994. The Olin Foundation was created and is still controlled by
  the Olin Corporation, a top producer of agricultural chemicals.
  Furthermore, Olin was, along with Occidental Chemical and Dupont, one
  of the major firms involved in the Love Canal environmental scandal
  in Niagara Falls, NY."

  And so on and on. Stossel's not a journalist as he claims, he's a
  shill, just a fairground barker outside a Hall of Mirrors stall
  (though an extremely well-paid one).

  Here's some more:

  http://www.fair.org/extra/0303/stossel-treatment.html
  Extra!, March/April 2003
  The Stossel Treatment
  Selective editing and other unethical tactics
  By Rachel Coen

  http://www.fair.org/extra/0303/stossel-break.html
  Extra!, March/April 2003
  Give Us a Break
  The world according to John Stossel
  By Peter Hart

  http://www.mediatransparency.org/people/jstossel.htm
  Cursor's Media Transparency
  John Stossel

  http://www.fair.org/media-outlets/stossel.html
  John Stossel: FAIR Resources

  Stossel and his friends are liars and cheats, they have no integrity.
  They know they're liars, they don't care about that, their job is to
  keep on getting the lies out on behalf of their clients, to get the
  exposure and the column-inches that (a) get the "message" believed,
  and (b), much worse, steadily shift the public towards *wanting* to
  believe such stuff.

  Stossel's book fits what we're all trying to achieve with biodiesel?
  Tell me, Ryan, why wasn't America doing 20 years ago what we're
  trying to do here now with biofuels and sane energy? Instead
  everything's gone helter-skelter in the opposite (mad) direction -
  for instance, fuel economy is worse now in the US than it was 15
  years ago. What's the real reason for it? It started to happen, all
  this stuff was known then, and furthermore it's the kind of thing
  Americans do. Or did. So why not? Ponder as you may, it's this
  disinfo stuff that's the cause. No surprise, since about as much
  money goes into it every year as US taxpayers pour into the Pentagon.
  That's the best thing you can find to do with your taxes? That's not
  what America's all about is it? Is that really what most Americans
  want? Short of this incessant barrage of heavy-duty disinformation
  and its effects, that's what they'd be wanting? A world where this
  passes as normal? - "More than 150 Republican lobbyists worked on
  Bush's transition team. Diane Steed of the Coalition for Vehicle
  Choice, which was created by the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers of
  America to fight against higher fuel efficiency standards, advised
  the Department of Transportation."

  I doubt it.

  Anyway, so much for Mr Stossel, a disgrace to my profession. Well,
  you've got all the resources for it now, next time do it yourself eh?

  Best wishes

  Keith

  >Cheers,
  >
  >Ryan
Give
  >Me a Break
  >

  >  Crap,he sounds alot like Rush Limbaugh.
  >  John
  >
  >  Appal Energy wrote:
  >
  >  >Ryan,
  >  >
  >  >Speaking only from personal experience, having worked environmental
  >issues
  >  >for twenty some years, Stossel is a clown. He takes every valid
  >  >scientific/social/economic argument on an issue that he is in disfavor
  >with,
  >  >degrades them and particularly those who hold them with open ridicule
and
  >  >belittlement, to the point that those who don't see a subject his way
are
  >  >painted as radical, irratioinal, self-serving alarmists, at least to
the
  >  >uninitiated and unaware.
  >  >
  >  >What he boils down to is notthing more than an opportunist pursuing
  >  >sensationalism and recognition at the expense of all else.
  >  >
  >  >Food irradiation? Toxic waste incinerators? Over fishing? Just name a
  >  >serious subject that can and does adversely affect human health and
  >  >livlihood and Stossel will attempt to turn it into a joke.
  >  >
  >  >His "insights are relative?" Only from the perspective of sending up a
  >flare
  >  >as to how far some people/industries will go - how selective and
  >deceptive
  >  >they will present a matter in order to create an inordinantly
distorted
  >  >perspective in the public eye - mis-information and dis-information
  >  >practiced as an art form to the detriment of the balance of society.
  >  >
  >  >Todd Swearingen
  >  >

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor