I have never been able to fully get how this subsidy affects things.

However, even assuming you are 100% on the money that the subsidy
adversely affected the effort to introduce E-85 more widely, I do not
think this rules out that other factors were involved, such as the
question of whether Oil-Industry-Dependent businessmen had sufficient
incentive to risk selling the product of a competitor directly next to
the product of the Oil Industry.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511