Hi Gustl

>Hallo Keith,
>
>If you can get a hold on a short length of (railroad) rail you can cut
>with a torch and grind a halfway decent horn on it.

Good idea! I was thinking of rail lines but haven't come across any,
I'll look harder. I don't have a torch though, but I know someone who
does.

>You could use the
>girder for the pritchel and hardie holes.  I don't know how they do it
>in Japan but here I have my anvil on a piece of tree trunk I cut which
>brings  the  anvil up to proper height and gives me the longest strike
>distance.   It  should  be  just  high  enough  that the piece you are
>working will lay on the anvil with your arms loosely extended.

Thankyou. I haven't visited any blacksmiths here yet. I know they're
around, still extant, very much so (they still make swords here).
Something to do soon. Here's a Japanese blacksmith:
http://www.dento.gr.jp/takedahamono/e-kajiya/e_index.html

We've got quite a lot of tools like that - what they make, not what they use.

>Good  used anvils are getting as scarce as hens teeth around this neck
>of  the  woods.  I saw one at an auction go for $125 US and when I put
>the  hammer to it it was dead.  No ring or bounce at all.  Just a dead
>thump.

A dead anvil. What a thought. Dead anvils don't sing.

>If  there  is  a  racetrack  around your area you could check with the
>farriers  there  and  see  if they know where you might get a few good
>used  tools.   Seems to me I remember seeing that the Japanese like to
>watch heavy horses race.

Yes. I do have some contacts who could put me in touch with such
networks here. Good, you and Go have got me moving, time to make a
start with this.

Thanks!

regards

Keith