  From: Stuart Hoenig
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 11:11 AM
  Subject: [biofuel] Items of information

  Reading the messages it appears that most of the members are thinking only
  about their personal problems.  Making biogas on a home basis is
  impractical for the great majority of people and there is no large
  commercial industry in the business. With methane the situation is
  different, there is a huge business involved in methane production. In fact
  Tucson, which may be the most backward city in the US, runs buses on
  methane. It will run automobiles with just minor modifications.

  Another thing about methane, you can make it anaerobically by digestion of
  garbage, sewage and farm waste. The CO2 that comes off is used for
  softening hard water, the CH4 (methane) is used for fuel. Just think you
  get rid of sewage and garbage quickly and produce useful fuel. There are
  500 plants in Europe and about 60 in the US. I can provide more information.

  The thing that is really going to be short in the Western part of the USA
  and many undeveloped countries is fresh water. The Colorado and it's dams
  are down about 50% or more. One simple solution would be the desalting of
  sea water. Work was done on this in Japan some years ago, it was shown that
  a simpler electrical system could increase the rate of evaporation by 500%
  and the evaporated water is fresh. This water can be condensed by another
  simple electrical system and you have unlimited fresh water.

  These are things the world needs NOW, I would hope that the members will
  give them some consideration.

  Prof. Stuart A. Hoenig
  Dept. of Electrical Engin.
  Univ. of Arizona