  From: Keith Addison
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 11:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [biofuel] 100,000 miles on SVO?

  Hello Bruce

  >Ed-
  >    Your insights into these issues is helpful to me, and I'm sure,
  >to others.  (I am aware of some of your work in this area, as some
  >months ago your partner Craig made me aware of your Master's thesis
  >and I actually read it!)
  >    I would love to top Alex's 300,000 km benchmark, but it will
  >take some time at the rate that I drive.  Like him, I am not using
  >any WVO, as I want to take a very conservative approach to this, and
  >that may help to extend the life of my engine.  However, there is
  >another reason that I don't use WVO (and this may be worthy of
  >another discussion thread.)  In my work, I am attempting to develop
  >and espouse a model of worldwide personal transportation
  >sustainability, and also practice what I preach.  The limited volume
  >of WVO simply does not lend itself to such a model.   I have serious
  >doubts as to whether even Canola, sunflower, camelina sativa or any
  >other annual row crop can be justified in such a worldwide model, as
  >these would compete with food crops if produced on a very large
  >scale, they use considerable energy to produce, and require water,
  >weeding, and pest control.

  It can be done sustainably, but indeed not via industrialised
  monocropping. I said this before: "If you just swap fuels instead of
  changing the entire disaster you'll end up with wall-to-wall
  industrialized monocrops of GMO soy and canola. Big Biofuels may not
  turn out to be much better than Big Oil. Silly thing about it is that
  industrialized monocropping of biofuels crops would be (is) just as
  fossil-fuel-dependent as industrialized monocropping of anything else
  is. What's the use of finding a cure for cancer if it gives you a
  heart attack?"

  You can find messages in the list archives from organic farmers in
  the US raising maize and soy at equal or better yields than the
  so-called "conventional" chemicalised farmers next door with their
  much higher fossil-fuel inputs and higher costs too, and without the
  externalised costs associated with chemicalised farming practices,
  such as depleted soil (the farm's capital). I've proposed, and others
  have agreed, that it's quite possible to raise energy crops without
  the use of any dedicated land at all or dedicated anything else, as
  by-products of the ever-changing cropping patterns used on
  sustainable, integrated farms, and without any fossil-fuel inputs.

  Don't forget a lot of those "food crops" aren't really food crops at
  all. This is worth a look:

  Food or Fuel?
  http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_food.html#grainexports

  On "How much fuel can we grow?" and "How much land will it take?",
  you might find these previous posts of interest:

  http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/BIOFUELS-BIZ/1395/

  http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/BIOFUELS-BIZ/1801/

  >When there are hardy perennial oil producing plants like Jatropha
  >that grow for up to 50 years in otherwise unusable soil in semi arid
  >climates with virtually no maintenance requirements, and also can
  >serve to as a natural fence, wind break and source of medicinal
  >compounds, it seems like that is where the focus should be (and I am
  >in the process of importing some seeds, planning a trip to Africa,
  >and otherwise investigating this.)

  I agree with you, very much, but with the reservation that, for all
  jatropha's advantages, and those of other similar crops, there's no
  single "best" answer to this. Each situation requires a different
  solution, or at least a fresh appraisal, and local involvement is
  essential at all levels, including all decisions and choices. There
  are almost always local energy crops, or weeds, or wild plants, that
  could be exploited, and past experience with rural development
  projects shows that such local resources usually perform better than
  imports such as jatropha or whatever, regardless of yields. If, that
  is, by "performance" one means overall community benefit. Which you
  do mean.

  >    I am also approaching the longevity issue from an entirely
  >different angle.  I have developed a generator powered by a Kubota
  >diesel engine.  The engine was sent to Elsbett in Germany for
  >conversion to SVO and I am very pleased with its performance.  The
  >generator can be used for stand alone power generation, but was
  >really developed with the idea of incorporating it into a hybrid
  >electric vehicle.  With such a system, one can get into a vehicle
  >and drive away on battery power while using the propulsion battery
  >pack to preheat the oil, or better still, preheat the entire engine,
  >as considerable engine wear and emissions occur when starting a cold
  >engine.  The engine is then run at a nearly constant power level
  >that is at or close to optimum levels for fuel economy and
  >emissions.  Needless to say, engine longevity in such an engine run
  >in this manner could be very impressive.

  Nice project!

  >As experience with gasoline hybrids has proved, high fuel economy is
  >also achieved, and a diesel hybrid could achieve really eye popping
  >fuel economy.

  The three vehicles developed in the US under the abandoned PNGV
  program all achieved 80mpg and they were all diesel-electric hybrids.
  There are some details here:

  http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_future.html
  Do diesels have a future?

  >Combine this with fuel from perennial oil producing plants that grow
  >on otherwise unusable land and things might really begin to look
  >interesting.

  Indeed things would!

  Best wishes

  Keith