Hi -

Or, a buzzer can be used which sounds when the ignition is turned off,
and the fuel valve switch is left in the SVO position. If that happens,
then the user simply restarts and purges for few minutes - as a backup
warning system, not the primary strategy!

  It is simple and effective. The user normally gets into the habit of
switching back to diesel shortly before arriving at the destination, so
this is just if there is a lapse in that habit.

Switching over (from diesel to SVO) is seldom a problem - users are
very desirous of getting off diesel and onto SVO as soon as possible,
so they do not forget to do so very often! The timing of this varies
with system and with ambient temperature. Electric heaters on the SVO
heating system (let's say in combination with coolant-operated heating)
greatly shorten the time for being able to switch, since the coolant
does not have to be at full temperature.

So, trying to set a timer on that end would be very difficult. Others
have used turbo timers, etc., but it wastes less fuel and is safer and
easier to just get in the habit of switching back (purging) on diesel
at a certain distance away from the last stop of the day, and having a
buzzer for a backup reminder, IMHO. The purge time also varies with
ambient temperature, and whether or not a block heater or other
preheating is used prior to restart.

If you have an older engine with a weak battery and poor compression,
and it's quite cold out, you have very poor conditions for getting the
engine to start, and so that engine would be *very * difficult to start
on SVO (there are other factors, as well, this is just an example). So,
purge time would need to be longer - it would need a very thorough
purge.

If you have, conversely, a new engine, synthetic lube oil, a good
battery, and a block heater on it, then the engine would start even
with a high percentage of vegoil left in the mix. Again, just examples,
but the main point is that this is all over the map (no GIS pun
intended!) and therefore very difficult to automate, and may not be
worthwhile.

As a suggestion, a great application for the GIS would be an
international database of places a person can obtain good
SVO/WVO....co-ops, cooperative restaurants,  stations, bulk dealers,
etc. Online, updated, as a nice GIS map....I think that would be a
welcome resource in many countries!

Edward Beggs
http://www.biofuels.ca